Skoda FELICIA 1.9 diesel (starting probs)

Ok upon further investigation i looked in the fuse box. and theres a green plug nere the top of the fuse box. it has have six pins in the socket but the plug has been crudely wired from six to three so only 3 pins are being used. im gonna try to find out weather this has any bearing on the matter. ift maybe it stopping the sensor from working properly. oh temp readout is 80 when hot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Ken thanks for ll your help. the green plug i mentioned had no effect. but im not happy with it. But what i think will do is rig up a switch to disable the coolent sensor. then flick it on when started so it will still give temp readout. But now i need to know which wired to cut to do this??? any guesses my friend?

HI ken well i think i will get anew thermostat and new sensor then see what happens. i will just disconnect the sensor plug when the car is hot so i can start it easily without running the battery down so much.Thanks for all your help.

OK so it's back to the drawing board. Today i bought a NEW Thermostat. And another NEW Temp Sensor. and some NEw Antifreeze. all fitted and done. back still the same problem not starting when hot. So surely i cannot be that unlucky to have bought two duff sensors.

So in going to put a switch in line with the feed to the sensor so it will think its; cold then it will start no problem. OH ken i also went round all the feul pipes and put new jubilee clips on all. Cracked open the injectors pipe to see if any airlocks, but none there. So it's a complete mystery.

Dear Saskia7,

You might like to look here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/favorit-f...problem/77545/

and here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/favorit-f...re-news/86598/

What you are experiencing is quite common, and several others have posted threads. I happened upon this forum because I "Googled" something like Felicia diesel hot start problems, and there were already several threads before I posted my two.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mr Music

Oh dear. Try putting Mr Music into the "Search this forum" facility when you go into "Favorit, Felicia, Fun and Forman" - that's what I did to find out what I'd written before. If it still doesn't work, I'll try to copy a few bits and pieces across.

Best wishes,

Mr Music

Edited by Mr Music

• 4 weeks later...

that i know, most engine need more fuel on cold starting, if there is a block in fuel it would actualy hinder more the cold start then the hot, and if performance is not hindered then its definetly not a fuel clog problem,

you might have an air leak, starting cold would not be hindered because of the choke, also running performance would be hindered in the sence of fuel economy but not power, question; Does the car runs the same mileage on a galon as before?, if answer is no, the it is a leak on the manifold, checke if any hose is off, try to have a hear close to the brake system there's a big hose that goes to the manifold, might be just the seal thats not good, try petrolium jelly there to check

another question for you, when you try to start, does it help to accelerate a little? have you tryed to accelerate a lot to start on hot? that could tell me where the air leak is since different vacuum hoses and diferent parts of the manifold and plenum are affected difrently on heavy or light acceleration

you might have an air leak, starting cold would not be hindered because of the choke, also running performance would be hindered in the sence of fuel economy but not power, question; Does the car runs the same mileage on a galon as before?, if answer is no, the it is a leak on the manifold, checke if any hose is off, try to have a hear close to the brake system there's a big hose that goes to the manifold, might be just the seal thats not good, try petrolium jelly there to check

having an air leak in the maifold doesn't make a lot of difference on a naturally aspirated diesel, you could run it without the manifold on there..

cold starting problems doesn't have a lot to do with fueling, it's more to do with the glow plugs

there are intake manifold and exhaust manifold the latter also know as heather, you CAN run any car diesel or petrol without a heather, (very loud though) but you cannot run a car without a intake manifold, it needs it to remove air turbulence and to have an even supply of air, and if you can get a engine started without the intake manifold it would rev up until dying...

Saskia7, you might want to read this pages, it might help you on findding out what exactly is the problem with your engine

Get to know your diesel engine and

The Diesel Engine

i read them and it seems to me that lost compression is a issue, but i'll let you be the judge of that.

Oh and TeflonTom, your right, diesel engines do not need more fuel on cold start

here are the links Mr. music was talking about

http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/warm-start-problems-glx-1-9d/84942/

http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/diesel-hot-start-problem/77545/

hope all those links help, its not a big ammount of reading

but you cannot run a car without a intake manifold, it needs it to remove air turbulence and to have an even supply of air, and if you can get a engine started without the intake manifold it would rev up until dying...

i think you need to read up on diesel engines or something. the free running speed of a diesel engine is based purely on how much fuel you inject and not on how much air is available to the engine

i think you need to read up on diesel engines or something. the free running speed of a diesel engine is based purely on how much fuel you inject and not on how much air is available to the engine

thats not what i've read on diesel, but i always say that cross refering thing and looking for information on several sorces is the best way to actualy learn something, that and ofcourse having the hands on experiences wich i presume you have.

for now ive read about diesel in wikipeadia, how stuff works, the two links i supplyed, and a couple more references. Some say that the fuel is regulated through a sensor (newer engines) a mecanical system with a cut off valve for shutdown and i guess from what you are writing now something controled with the throttel cable... very interesting stuff indeed diesel technology.

anyways thanks for the reply, would,nt want to be the person that say's a dumb thing in public and then be the fools, (i prefer people correcting me, then reading a little to confirm and be the wizer for it :D)