Which Sat Nav??

fluffy01016

I've got a promotion to a regional role with my company which envolves driving around 1000 miles a week. I will be mainly using motorways but I will have a fair bit of driving around London. My company car won't have sat nav so I need to invest in one. I would like bluetooth so that I can use my mobile whilst on the move and I would prefer traffic updates to limit drive time. Speed camera database is also a must. I've looked at various Tom Tom models but didn't know if there was a better sat nav that had all the features that I need? I would also like to know the cheapest place to pickup the best model.

Hi

I got one of these from VW for my current golf being late-

Road Angel Navigator 9000 combines full UK street mapping with ROAD ANGEL and the No.1 safety camera and accident blackspot alert system.

The only thing it does not have is bluetooth ( i have integrated Bluetooth in the car anyway) I must admit I dont use it too often as I work in the same city most days, but it has worked very well for me. GPRS live traffic updates , down to door number tracking , also plays mp3's etc from sd card.

I have only tried the bluetooth function on a TomTom ( think it was a ONE ) and didnt like the quality.

I've found the 920T Tomtom for £215 which seems a very good price. £100 cheaper than the 930T. Not sure what the differnce between the two though. The 920T has TMC, Bluetooth and FM transmitter which are the functions that I most wanted. I think the 930T has a internal HDD but not sure.

I think the TomTom 920 has lane guidance not sure what the 930 has.

The 920 is an impressive bit of kit and you can link it to your phone via bluetooth so you dont need a headset.

pocketgpsworld.com is great for the camera database as its a one off membership fee to download for various units too. ideal if you have multiple devices.

If you can get the 920 quite cheap as my mate paid £400 for his then its a good buy, but if you want a simple navigator then get the TomTom 1 XL.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200w no extra gimmicks but its a good navigator.

The £215 price will probably swing it for me. I think the 930T is just an update to the 920T with no real major advances. The bluetooth phone connection is essential as I don't want to be pulling over every 10 minutes for a phone call and I can't fit an aftermarket kit to the car. The TMC traffic system should hopefully save me some time in traffic jams too. I'll keep looking but probably end up with this unit.

Other option is a Garmin Nuvi 770. Quite pleased with it. Got TMC, bluetooth, and FM broadcasting to play MP3s through your stereo. Did a review of it on ebuyer.com. Can take an SD card. Nuvi 700 = UK maps, 760 = UK and Europe, 770 = UK, Europe and N. America

Traffic reception is patchy at times, but has dug me out of many a jam on the M25. A mate has the Tomtom with TMC, and it's much worse than mine (not that that's much consolation!)