pd160 ?

BRUN

so is it simply the intake hose ?

Essentially, yes. You need to couple it with a free-flow air filter for best effect. It's supposed to be near essential for a low-smoke remap.

Since I have a k&N panel filter at the moment, I'd be looking to get the same or green cotton if i did get a PD160...would that be worth doing?

Its probably a bit of a placebo as some people say it makes a difference while others don't notice any change. Prob depends on your driving style too I would guess. :rolleyes:

I actually tend to pootle about, avoiding the numerous abyss-sized potholes, so probably not much use for the moment anyway! :rofl:

oh those potholes on lewis are legendary... is there not 1 that you can fall through to australia.....

oh those potholes on lewis are legendary... is there not 1 that you can fall through to australia.....

Possibly, one of my mates found himself in China the other day! :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous, I think we must have just about the most derelict roads in the Western world. Couple that with the highest fuel prices, and oh how I can't wait to move to Glasgow in January! :rofl:

Possibly, one of my mates found himself in China the other day! :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous, I think we must have just about the most derelict roads in the Western world. Couple that with the highest fuel prices, and oh how I can't wait to move to Glasgow in January! :rofl:

When I was working in Glasgow I think I was the only one trying to avoid the parts of he road that either had disintegrated or they had simply forgot to build :rofl: - Lewis must be bad if you can't wait for the roads of Glasgow! :D

When I was working in Glasgow I think I was the only one trying to avoid the parts of he road that either had disintegrated or they had simply forgot to build :rofl: - Lewis must be bad if you can't wait for the roads of Glasgow! :D

Lewis isn't bad...it's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! :mad: Should really trade the fabia in for a Land Rover but I love it too much.

Is there any point in doing the PD160 mod?

Briskodian dave a certainly didn't seem to think so, and he's a man who seems to know what he's talking about:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/my-fabia-vrs-so-far/121172/#post1411935

"Thanks for the comments :)

I did look at the PD 160 intake but the cost for what is effectively a cheap plastic pipe is silly in my opinion. As a job I design and build engines and also design and build intake systems/camshaft design etc... as well as being an ECU technician and a qualified EFI tech so I spend most of my time either building an engine, fitting engines or mapping ecu's. We have the equipment to measure flow and restriction in an intake system as well as datalogging intake temps, boost timings and pressures etc... with 1 simple modification (no hacking of the airbox as someone sugggested) the airbox pressure ahs been tuned and has not had any negative effect on intake temps. It also cost the grand total of £0 :) However, for most people the PD 160 intake is a quick, simple and effective yet expensive solution to the problem.

dave a did this:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/my-fabia-vrs-so-far/121172/#post1412107

"To alter the pressures on the airbox to find an optimum value we use a very simple method. A hole is drilled into the underside of the airbox and a rubber tube (o/d of about 24mm) is then bonded into place. We then place a copper tube (od of about 20mm) with 1 end closed off and holes drilled up the length of the tube into the rubber tube and measure the pressure seen in the airbox under varying loads with the copper tube pulled out to different lengths to expose more holes. (very simple manual bypass valve system) The airbox pressure under varying loads and airspeeds (measured in cfm and confirmed by g/s by AFM readings) will change, what will be optimum at 1800 rpm may not be ideal at 4000 rpm so you need to find a happy medium. Some more modern vehicles get around this by having varying length intakes or intake systems that have valves to reduce or increase intake runner/airbox pressures at varying revs/loads.

Once you find the optimum point you can measure the extra volume of air or amount of pressure you need to relieve and convert this into a size value, easiest way to build this into the box is to drill a hole to the correct size. Another method is to cut a square from the airbox and build in a sliding cover that can be opened or closed to give the desired apeture."

So, I asked:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/my-fabia-vrs-so-far/121172/#post1414511

"Cool!

So, would I be correct in thinking that to recreate the extra volume of air available to the filter, one need not do the PD160 mod (new pipe and horn), but simply should drill a hole of a specific diameter into the airbox?

Further, what would be the net effect on engine performance if one were to remove the pipe and horn altogether, leaving only the filter in place, hypothetically speaking?"

And dave a replied:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/my-fabia-vrs-so-far/121172/#post1414685

"you are thinking right, the PD160 is a simple and effective mod but for the cost it can be done a lot cheaper. Its worth keeping the original pipe in place as a cold air feed."

I then asked, but got no reply, to :(:

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/my-fabia-vrs-so-far/121172/2/#post1414831

"OK, so where do I drill and what diameter for that PD160 effect?"

So, buy a pipe and horn, or drill a hole?

And ideas?

Anyone?