Maffu's Fabia modifying musings: Part 1 - induction/exhaust

Maffu

Now, even with the quickest of searches it seems installing the PD160 intake and trumpet on the PD130 engine is de riguer. What are the negatives, or downsides to installing this part? Does it provide too much air flow into the engine? Can the engine's ecu happily and easily allow for the increase of air available?

I've always had the air filter of my car replaced every 10,000 miles, but I got lazy last time and forgot to request it replaced. Is there any advantage to getting a K&N, Green or Pipercross panel filter aftermarket filter over the standard OE skoda item? What disadvantages are there to an aftermarket filter? Would one of these upset the MAF in anyway? Is there a particular manufacturer of uprated filter panels that works better with the PD130 over the others? I've always like K&N filters, but am approaching this with an open mind.

I don't see any real advantage of uprating the exhaust on what is a standard PD130, and will only be mildly remapped in the future. Short of aesthetic improvements, will it do anything for me? I suggest it's money better spent elsewhere - I mean, it's still going to sound like a diesel… - but am happy to be proven otherwise.

Thanks for any insight given.

Now, even with the quickest of searches it seems installing the PD160 intake and trumpet on the PD130 engine is de riguer. What are the negatives, or downsides to installing this part? Does it provide too much air flow into the engine? Can the engine's ecu happily and easily allow for the increase of air available?

I installed mine 3000 miles ago.

Noted improvements:

- The car seems to rev a bit easier up to 4000rpm when you want it to

Responses to your questions:

The one downside noted is that the increased diamater of the pipe can rub against some hoses on the engine and wear them through. Simple solution to this problem - plastic tie the little hoses away from the pipe a little bit.

Does the ECU cope with the increased amount of air? My engine is running perfectly fine with the upgraded part with no ECU changes whatsoever. I don't actually think the amount of air going in to the engine under normal load is significantly higher, it just prevents the car from "running out of breath" when you start entering the higher engine speed ranges :)

Hope this helps!

I've always had the air filter of my car replaced every 10,000 miles, but I got lazy last time and forgot to request it replaced. Is there any advantage to getting a K&N, Green or Pipercross panel filter aftermarket filter over the standard OE skoda item? What disadvantages are there to an aftermarket filter? Would one of these upset the MAF in anyway? Is there a particular manufacturer of uprated filter panels that works better with the PD130 over the others? I've always like K&N filters, but am approaching this with an open mind.

I don't see any real advantage of uprating the exhaust on what is a standard PD130, and will only be mildly remapped in the future. Short of aesthetic improvements, will it do anything for me? I suggest it's money better spent elsewhere - I mean, it's still going to sound like a diesel… - but am happy to be proven otherwise.

Thanks for any insight given.

The PD160 allows better airflow and the ECU copes fine. I fitted a K&N panel filter with mine, but that's really to save money in the long run than for any performance benefits. No after market filter will affect the MAF unless you overoil it.

As for the exhaust - I've got a full stainless (manifold back) with a decat on a non-remapped VRS. Since fitting it, the engine appears to rev free-er, there seems to be a very slight increase in accleration and it even has a little bit of a growl on full throttle. Personally, I'd recomend it.

I've got a Pipercross panel filter you're welcome to have Matt.

Can't get it to fit for love nor money in mine but if you can get it to fit in yours you can have it. The rubber around the edge is damaged but nothing major, should still create a seal between the upper and lower airbox. Remind me about it and I'll bring it to the next meet.

Excellent - thanks guys, just the answers I was after. :thumbup:

Matt -

Cheers for the offer. We've got the same model engines, so I'm guessing we'll have similar fitting issues! Have you got in contact with Pipercross to see if it's something that can sort out?