10 worst car models

swedishskoda

The "Swedish AA" has made a survey among owners of model year 2007 cars. The ten models that had most serious faults (demanding immediate repair) was:

1. Volvo XC90, 45.9 % of the cars affected

2. Volvo V70 34.5 %

3. Renault Mégane 34.0 %

4. Peugeot 307 32.6 %

5. Peugeot 207 31.7 %

6. Opel/Vauxhall Vectra 30.6 %

7. Citroën C4 25.3 %

8. Volvo S80 25.1 %

9. Peugeot 407 24.6 %

10. Volvo XC70 24.5 %

Average car: 16.7 %

10 cars with most minor faults (can be left till later)

1. Volvo XC90 99.0 %

2. Peugeot 207 72.5 %

3. Renault Mégane 71.3 %

4. Saab 9-5 65.6 %

5. VW Polo 64.5 %

6. Citroën C5 63.4 %

7. Skoda Fabia 63.4 % :eek:

8. Volvo S80 61.8 %

9. Volvo XC70 60.9 %

10. Peugeot 307 57.7 %

Average car: 41.7 %

And the cars with fewest faults? Toyota, Hyundai, BMW... Octys score slightly better than average.

Surveys can be misleading, I wouldn't worry too much about minor faults, which can be sorted under warranty. THe serious faults is a concern and like the JD power surveys of recent years the French cars are on the list. OK, they will be sorted under warranty, but it's a pain if you own such a car.

Surveys can be misleading, I wouldn't worry too much about minor faults, which can be sorted under warranty...

Agree, one can imagine that if you paid up for a Volvo XC90 you are not prepared to tolerate any faults and therefore remembers/mentions them all... but that's probably also true for owners of BMW 5 series and those scored well.

But surely it was carried out In Sweden, where Volvos are made. Wouldn't that bias their figures?

Phil

Hmmm... well, there's a lot of Volvos rolling here (maybe not that many XC90s but the V70 is very common). But Pugs and Méganes are also very common - it's not that percentage is corrupted due to very few replies.

What can affect the outcome is of course that Swedes tend to equate Volvo with quality and that Volvo owners therefore are more demanding/less tolerant. But again, the same should hold for Beemers...

It's all down to perception and proportion sold compared to everything else.

Everyone said the Motorola V3 was an awful phone and very unreliable. In reality there were that many sold in just looked bad. The actualy failure rate on the product was less than many other models in proportion.

I would have thought that they sell a lot of Volvos in Sweden.

It's all down to perception and proportion sold compared to everything else.

Everyone said the Motorola V3 was an awful phone and very unreliable. In reality there were that many sold in just looked bad. The actualy failure rate on the product was less than many other models in proportion.

I would have thought that they sell a lot of Volvos in Sweden.

Yes, but if it's a proper survey (not a Briskoda poll ;) ) you would get a lot of answers from people with trouble-free cars provided that the car is good?

The survey was sent out to 16,000 car owners (we are a small country, but the equal in the UK would be 100,000 owners). And of the V70 owners (probably a significant proportion) more than one third reported major faults during the first year n(mainly with electrics/electronics in the V70 case). I am a little bit surprised that Volvo scored that bad. Renaults and Pugs on the other hand - more expected. And that Toyota came out as the best model doesn't surprise me either.

I can't find any information on the proportion of "no replies" which of course can lead to bias. You are more prone to report faults than to fill in a form telling that everything's hunky-dory.

Yes, but if it's a proper survey (not a Briskoda poll ;) ) you would get a lot of answers from people with trouble-free cars provided that the car is good?

Ahh not really. As the survey would be by choice you will tend to get the extreme points of reaction. When it concerns a product people expect it to perform. People who have Volvo's could have massive expectations and whilst the car isn't that much worse than X car it will look worse on a survey like this

%'s are difficult to read in most contexts. Now if you applied an NPS type factor to it you could get a much clearer picture (Promotor-Detractor). It's probably a good indication of the customers perception but not something I would nail down to the 0.1%

Weve had 4 xc90's now. 2 x T6 and 2 D5's

The second one was a lemon we think, when it was traded in it was: :rofl:

A) permenantly stuck in 4x4 (my fault)

B) the turbo was on its way out (my fault)

C) the brakes were shot and the tyres were all unevenly worn (my fault)

D) water leak in front foot well ( this wasnt my fault :P)

The others were all spot on.... never missed a beat. (i didnt drive them though)

My volvo s40 has also had its fair share of faults. turbo went after 5 days of owner ship (my fault)

Traction control developed a fault and switched itself permenantly off (maybe my fault)

Can anyone see a trend? :rofl:

Other than that they are cracking cars..... the T6 xc90 will actually light all four tyres up coming off a roundabout sideways..... the D5's are boring.

D) water leak in front foot well ( this wasnt my fault :P)

sunroof drain tubes block up :thumbup:

07 on model year V70 has a lot more Ford bits on it than the previous all Volvo V70

i'd be interested to know what the XC90 problems were that req'd immediate attention