Octavia Elegance Estate tdi

My front wipers have stopped working. I have serached the site and manged to get to the motor and linkage. The wipers were a a nightmare to get off however after a lot of duck oil and leverage they came off. After removing the cover off the motor,the burshes seem ok. The linkage seems free enough, when I turn the motor. There's talk of a relay? I can't see anything? Can anyony help with the fuses? They all seem ok. Have I missed anything. I have put a multi-meter on the motor and I get 12v across two out of the 4 motor connections when the ignition is on (no change when I put the wipers on, always 12v). Is this correct? with the different wiper position, there's always 12v on the same two conections and nothing else? I'm not a auto electrician (just teacher!) so It doens't really make any sense to me. Can anybody please help? Thanks in advance.

Does sound rather like it might be a relay issue. When the linkage fails it tends to be indicated by the wipers moving slower and more juddery to start with, and then it gets worse. Or maybe the wiper motor has failed.

Found the large relay as advised (thank you). It looked ok, replaced it and nothing... however after a few taps the wipers started to work! I suspect the relay will need replacing but is there anything that can be done to prolong it's life? Ran out of daylight so will have the job of putting everything back together again in the morn. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Found the large relay as advised (thank you). It looked ok, replaced it and nothing... however after a few taps the wipers started to work! I suspect the relay will need replacing but is there anything that can be done to prolong it's life? Ran out of daylight so will have the job of putting everything back together again in the morn. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Maybe the contacts need cleaning. The quickest way to do this is remove and replace the relay 10 times. Nothing to lose.

Done a few of these, 99% you'll need the new and updated style motor.

Switch on the wipers and probe the connection block on the car loom for 12v with a test lamp or multimeter.

It's not the brushes but the contact ring that gies the problem, in my opinion if you have 12v then a new motor or you are just wasting time best spent elsewhere.

Also don't lever wipers off, use a puller! Remove the circlips, slide the (probably partially seized) pivots out the alloy housing, clean it all out and up and re-assemble after solvent cleaning down with ots of grease. Don't forget to re-fit the thrust washers and 0-ring in order of removal. Also grease up the plastic ball sockets, new motor and walah, refurbished wiper assembly.

Greg

My front wipers have stopped working. I have serached the site and manged to get to the motor and linkage. The wipers were a a nightmare to get off however after a lot of duck oil and leverage they came off. After removing the cover off the motor,the burshes seem ok. The linkage seems free enough, when I turn the motor. There's talk of a relay? I can't see anything? Can anyony help with the fuses? They all seem ok. Have I missed anything. I have put a multi-meter on the motor and I get 12v across two out of the 4 motor connections when the ignition is on (no change when I put the wipers on, always 12v). Is this correct? with the different wiper position, there's always 12v on the same two conections and nothing else? I'm not a auto electrician (just teacher!) so It doens't really make any sense to me. Can anybody please help? Thanks in advance.

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice. I managed to assemble everything back togther and it does point to a relay fault.... I think. After removal and cleaning (the relay) the wipers work for a bit but have failed since. I need to do a proper cleaning job as described on the relay and/or source a replacment just to make sure it is the cause. I'm guessing the scrap yard would be the best place to find one. If not then I'll start on the motor.....

Not quite. There are two different & incompatible types on the mk1 octy alone. Yes, some are the same as on other vag, but there are around a dozen motor/linkage styles in recent times so just pulling one and taking it home is a bit pot luck.

To the O.P., why do you have to replace the relay to test it? Just test if you have voltage on the multi plug to the motor, if you do and the motor isn't moving you do not need to be looking at your relay!

Greg.

If the linkage is OK a motor from other VAG cars should fit. I put one from a Mk III Golf on an Octy when I was stuck....The problem on mine was the Parking Switch attached to the gear on the motor.