octavia towbar operation

I have a three-year-old Octavia 2.0 tdi estate with a factory-fitted detachable towbar. The towbar has never been used and the circular plate at the top-end of the swan-neck appears to have seized up.

Has anyone got one of these towbars? If so, what does the circular plate at the top of the swan neck do? Is it supposed to spring up? Should the locking lever spring shut when the bar is pushed up the housing? Should there be any play in the lever once it has been locked?

I've taken the car to 4 dealers but none knows how the factory-fitted towbar operates. I've emailed Skoda but all they suggest is contacting a dealer!

Can anyone help, please?

Edited by KBAKER

Contact a towbar fitter. The factory fit model is the same as one of the aftermarket units (cant remember which one).

Thanks for the advice. I took it to a towbar fitter - an independent used by a Skoda main dealer - but he hadn't come across one quite the same.

could you be a bit more specific, or post some pics? i have a genuine towbar on my octavia which i fitted. the single electric socket is on a bracket which rotates 90 degrees, which dictates weather its in use or not. mine has also partially siezed of which i just wd40 it and greased it untill it worked correctly. hope this is what you meant?:)