engine light on dash

nicoladf

Help! I bought my skoda fabia (52) 18 months ago and every once in a while the 'engine' light on the dash comes on. I took it to a mechanic and the just before I got there it went off so the mechaznic told me to come back when it comes on. This has happened a couple of times now but today, I noticed the light came on and was flashing. I got the car from an auction so I don't have a manual and have been looking on the net for info and found nothing. I am really concerned that it is something serious. can anybody give me advice or tell me what this light means. When the light was flashing this morning, the car felt a bit juttery. A colleague says it's nothing to worry about but I am not happy to just ignore it.

Sounds like my problem. I also haven't found a cure but car isn't acting wierd.

The engine management light could mean billion different things. It was constantly lit on my car, after I changed the temperature sensor it turned off and I haven't seen it again except for the thing yesterday.

What engine is in your Fabia?

Its more than likely going to be your Brake Pedal Switch if its flashing and there are no changes to driving/starting.

It will have a sporadic fault stored in the system.:thumbup:

Hi,

my engine is a 1.4and the car is an automatic. The light has been coming on for about 6 months now but usually, it would just light up and there was no noticeable difference in how the car drives. However, since the light came on last week, and it started to flash, the car becomes very sluggish, particularly when I have to slow down at traffic lights etc... the car really struggles to get any speed up and acceleration is pretty poor. The light was not on yesterday, but this morning it has come on again and is flashing. The car feels really bumpy.

Funnily enough, it could be something to with the brake as twice since I've had this car, when I went to brake at a roundabout, I felt the brake almost went...

How can I find out about the sporadic fault? Ssorry, I'm useless with cars...

If the light comes on even for a few seconds there will be fault codes stored in the ECU. Have a garage plug in an OBD2 fault code reader and retrieve the code(s). This is the only way to get a rough idea as to the faulty component(s).

Tip: You cab buy an OBD" FCR for £39 from Gendan Online.

It could be an exhaust gas recirculation problem, common on these engines, do a search on egr problems. Could be a lambda probe problem, but only a fault code check will reveal all. Can't see how either of these could relate to the brake issue, unless you have an intake air leak which is losing your vacuum on the brake servo, you need to get it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.