Power Steering failure

Hi!

I have a power steering problem and wonder if anyone has any suggestions!

It started 3 weeks ago...driving home I heard a buzzing from the passenger side dash area...next morning my power steering had gone and the light was on. I took it to my garage, as arrived there I hit the curb (oops! clearly not enough muscles for none power steering!) and miraculously the powersteering came back! Started it up again and the PAS had gone again and the light was on. VAGCOM could not connect to the car, I drove it for a while while I waited for the angle sensor to arrive and sure enough waiting in a queue of traffic the PAS suddenly came back on...it got me all the way home, but when started again the PAS was gone again and hasnt been back since.

To date I have had 1 second hand and 1 new pump installed, two new angle sensors (in various combinations). One VAGCOM plug in (on a different system to the one that was unable to access my car) showed a fault with the ECU on the pump, since then though a new one has been fitted and still it doesnt work...

Incidentally I have also noticed an interested issue with my central locking. When I clicked it of late I noticed the rear passenger door also opens as well as the drivers door and the speaker volume has become intermittent. A check of the wiring though showed no shorts and equally the PAS fluid is fine!

I saw mention of an alternator problem, should I look there? should I give up!? These and many more questions I hope someone will have the answers too!

Thank you!

One of the reasons I got rid of my furby...

You've covered the majority of the common fixes.

1. Damp in the wiring loom is a possible, apparently the loom sits low to the ground and in an area that can puddle with water, they say to try and raise the loom and allow it to dry for a while before attempting to add additional insulation.

2. The Alternator again could be an issue, or maybe your battery. I toyed with the idea of fitting a stronger battery, but they were very expensive. The earth on the Alternator I'm told can be an issue if it's not earthed properly.

Good luck mate...