ECU's 'dead'

groom03

I've taken my car to a mechanic and he said that my car needs a new ECU, the error code is 18048. i've spoken to some mechanics and they think that's it's unlikely that the ECU can just stop working, does anybody have any ideas because i really dont want to spend £200+ repairing the ecu.

very rare for an ecu to die of its own accord. Normally only happens when someone is tampering with the software or trying to re-chip it.

Internal checksum error could be due to corrupt software or internal hardware failure.

Not sure what your car or ecu type is but last week I had a price of £800+ for a passat 130pd ecu from the dealer. I fixed the ecu for around £150

My Mums 2001 Fabia 1.4MPi has had this fault on the ECU for the last two years, but no other symptoms except for the engine management light being on are present. Car runs fine. She only does about 3k miles a year so, it doesn't get much use.