Leak in my Felicia

Hi.

Had my 2000 Felicia Classic 1.3 for a couple months now, and recently now it's started raining I've noticed the driver's footwell is almost flooding! Well, it's not that drastic but there's definitely a puddle under my feet. Had a quick look around the other day, didn't find much. Tested to see if there was a visible leak from the windscreen or something by pouring water on it and couldn't see anything leaking water. Had a feel under the dash just behind the steering wheel and there's like this sponge stuff up there, which is wet, and I suspect the leak is from there, not sure though. Anyone know what could be up and what I should check? I would take it to the garage but being a cash strapped student (the reason I ended up with the Felicia in the first place and not a Ferrari lol) would prefer to save cash and do it myself.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome top Briskoda.

A common fault on the Felicia is the windscreen seal, and I think this is most likely the problem. The sponge stuff is sound proofing and invariably this is soaked when the seal is gone. See this recent thread for ideas on how to go about sealing it DIY. http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/leaky-felicia-windscreen-help/130287/ Basically 3 options, the seek n seal type liquids (something called captain tolley's creeping crack cure), silicone sealant inserted between seal and glass/seal and bodywork, or a brand new seal (but that would mean getting someone able to remove and refit the screen).

Another fault that seems to come up a few times is that on the drivers side gearbox oil can work it's way up the speedo drive cable if a breather hole on the gearbox is blocked, and gear oil will drip on your feet from the back of the instrument panel - but this would have a noticeable smell.

Another fault that appears to have happened to someone else is the hydraulic fluid leaking out of the headlight adjustment control (although I'd guess there isn't enough fluid in there to create a puddle).

We had this problem when we got our Felicia - the so-and-so from whom we bought it was not that honest about lots of little things, and one of them was water collecting in the footwell whenever it rained. I traced it to the driver's door. If you don't know, water always gets into the door from the bottom of the window. What looks like a seal is really just a blade to wipe away the worst of the water. Behind the door card is a plastic membrane, a transparent, thin plastic sheet glued to the door. Or not, as in our case! I found some clear plastic wrapping, from some Ikea flat-packed shelves if I remember correctly, and glued it onto the door with Bostik. Problem solved! There are drain holes at the bottom of the door to allow water to leave. The windscreen seal does sound more likely, since you've found the waterlogged sound insulation material, but the door is certainly another possibility.

Good luck,

Mr Music

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a leak in my felicia, I spoke to one of the lads at the local skoda place & they said it's common if you have a non genuine or replacement windscreen fitted as they are fractionally smaller. I still have the original screen but got the local windscreen people to take the screen out & reseal it, cost me £35. I haven't noticed it leaking since.

Might be worth looking at.

I also had the problem... it is a typical problem for this car.

A friend of my father replaced the seal and removed the rust at the bodywork. It was okay until one week ago. 4 days of rain and the seal refused its work. But not dramatic.

Check the foam under the dashboard whether it is wet.

I had the same problem as yourself last year with the same model. I replaced the window seal which was about £25 from skoda dealer and got rac autowindscreen to fit the seal which cost about £80. The staff were really helpful and told me this was a common problem with the car so they put sealant in with the seal.

Oh well I might as well update. I got the windscreen seal replaced and everything is now fine... I think. It hasn't bloody rained since I had it done lol :rolleyes: It snowed today though haven't been out in the car though, will see the results tomorrow.

John Boy

Please have a look at an earlier thread I did for this problem. I used this stuff from AB Sealants and it fixed mine an absolute treat.........Unfortunately Mr. **** Head, here managed to get caught out on a bit of sheet ice last month and I slid straight into the back of a parked car, So my fanrtastic little felicia has had to go to Skoda heaven. If your windscreen is leaking the stuff will def fix it.

Good Luck

Tom

Thanks, but there's no leak anymore so no worries. All I need to fix now is the bumper hanging off and one of the doors which is permanantly locked :thumbdwn: Oh and the whole image of it lol

• 3 months later...
Hi and welcome top Briskoda.

A common fault on the Felicia is the windscreen seal, and I think this is most likely the problem. The sponge stuff is sound proofing and invariably this is soaked when the seal is gone. See this recent thread for ideas on how to go about sealing it DIY. http://briskoda.net/favorit-felicia-fun-forman/leaky-felicia-windscreen-help/130287/ Basically 3 options, the seek n seal type liquids (something called captain tolley's creeping crack cure), silicone sealant inserted between seal and glass/seal and bodywork, or a brand new seal (but that would mean getting someone able to remove and refit the screen).

Another fault that seems to come up a few times is that on the drivers side gearbox oil can work it's way up the speedo drive cable if a breather hole on the gearbox is blocked, and gear oil will drip on your feet from the back of the instrument panel - but this would have a noticeable smell.

Another fault that appears to have happened to someone else is the hydraulic fluid leaking out of the headlight adjustment control (although I'd guess there isn't enough fluid in there to create a puddle).

i think you have just solved my problem. only thing now is to find the breather hole?? anyone got and tips/idea