Power steering issue

Hi Guys

I am looking for a bit of advice

My sister has a fabia estate 2001 and for the last 3 months the power steering warning light has been on

The steering has been working most of the time but on a number of occasions it has stopped working so been very heavy but then leave it for a bit and it starts working again

Now when it is working it still does not seem right well compared to my vrs

So i put it on a fault code machine today and it came up with 00816 steering assistance sensor g250 open short circiut to posative

Now i used the search and there has been things wrote about this fault code so sorry for asking the question again but

could anybody tell me what way i can check if its the sensor i dont have vag com or if its the ecu or a broken or corroded wire

Thanks guys

Edited by skodabrian

You'd better pray it's the sensor not the ECU! ;)

Seriously, though, the fact the ECU thinks it's an open circuit or a short to positive could well hint at a dodgy connection. Without giving it a wiggle, there's no way of telling, though. Toddle over to Stu's site - Fabia-vrs.com - Home Page - and take a look at the PAS sensor repair guide. It'll tell you where you need to look... :thumbup:

So it would be worth taking the plug out the pump and checking for rusty contacts stuff like that break in wires up to the sensor

Is there anyway i can check if the sensor is knackered

Its a 2001 car and she have all the recipts and there is not one for a steering sensor so there is a possabilty the sensor has not been changed

HI Mate

I had a problem much the same took it to everyone around ,one said sensor another cable never got it fixed ,but have found out myself that the only way round it is fit a new pump as i think there is some sensor goes wrong in it,even secondhand pumps didnot solve mine problem, try skospares in dorset he had a batch of new pump at about £250 each which is cheap,hope this helps.

Thanks Mate

I am going to have a look at the car at the weekend and check the wiring to the sensor and check for corrosion in the plug just incase water has got in and also the earth that Lummox says

And if all looks ok maybe as you say it possibly might need to be a new pump

would it be a big job to transfer my pump off the vrs into her car just to check if it is the pump ?????

HI

Before you do this try this fellow i found on ebay he seem to be a expert in pumps phone number is 01179602906 and you call him gary brunwin or go on to ebay site under skoda parts and you will see him sell pumps,as for changing over pumps if you are handy with a spanner you could do it but if not would leave it.

• 2 months later...

Looking for a wee bit more help guys

I fitted a new sensor today and looked at the old sensor somebody had already changed it at some point but tied it up with cable ties and not done it right so 2 bits of the protective coating had worn away and the black wire was worn threw until there is not copper wire

Also the brown wire has worn threw just to the copper core

Anyway put the new sensor in and still have the same issue no power steering and the light is still on

Could the brown wire which is power i would think touched something and caused something to blow in the pump or is there a fuse somewhere ??????

Or could anybody help me out that has a vag com unit close to Fakirk

any help would be appreciated

Edited by skodabrian