Mad Wipers - Front AND Back!

PussCat

Ok, looking for some help.....

A couple of months ago the rear wiper on our 03 Octy Tdi started going doolally - it either wouldn't work at all, or wouldn't go off, and when we switched it off it would never return to the 'resting' position. Now, it just comes on whenever it likes, doesn't matter whether it's switched on or off, and makes a horrid whirring noise.

That was bad enough.... but now the 'disease' has spread to the front wipers as well. They switch themselves off and on at random, even when it's not raining...... and nothing we can do will make them stop.

HELP!!!

Any ideas?????

Puss

I had a similar issue with my front wipers doing what they wanted when they wanted. I just removed the relay (the big one above accelerator pedal), checked it was dry, and left it out a few days, only putting back when i needed the wipers, since then its been fine :)

It's likely to be the motors, however if they are coming *on* randomly rather than refusing to work or refusing to switch off/stopping in strange places, it's possibly the relay. The motors are a common failure, if it isn't the relay when the front motor is being done strip & grease the linkages as well, they seize in the bushes.

Greg.

Hi -

Had a very smilar problem on Monday last, front wiper acting wierd. Replaced the wiper relay and they are behaving as normal again. Relay was €41. I purcahsed this at a main delears but I should have shopped around probably should be able to get it for 1/2 the price.

octojoe.