Heated Mirror Confusion

Hi, I have a 2001 1.4 16v Fabia Estate.

Ever since I have had it the heated mirrors (only the drivers side?) haven't worked. I have done a few searches from I what I have found have a few questions.

Firstly - are both sides heated? as only my drivers has an element thing down it.

Secondly - After seeing pictures and hearing descriptions of other people cars it sounds as though the middle setting turns the heaters on and the other two (L & R) control the position. On my control thingy I have a heater symbol (like the rear window one) at the top, L&R together in the middle and L only at the bottom. Is this right cos I haven't seen any others like this although the mirrors do move according to the symbols. . ?

Sorry for the rambling post and thanks in advance.

Joe

The heater element is on the reverse of the glass and is therefore not visible! The line down the drivers side mirror is the magnified/blindspot portion.

New mirror glass from the dealer should be around £25-£27.

Fleabay mirrors may be a cheaper option, But no guarantees the heating element will work

Ah thanks, I assumed it would be similar too a rear window heater - seemingly not! Is it possible for just the elements to burn out meaning it they dont work, but the rest of the circuit to be ok? (I have checked the fuses.)

Dont want to waste money if its not gonna fix it

Is it possible for just the elements to burn out meaning it they dont work, but the rest of the circuit to be ok?

In a word, Yes!

Your drivers side heating element will have 'Gone'. You've lived without it this long so i wouldn't rush out to replace it,

I personally, Rarely use mine as it is!