Loosing power at high speed

DarrenR

Hi People

A puzzling problem.

My TDi Fabia is suberb untill about 65mph in 5th gear when the power suddenly drops off. As if the turbo suddenly cuts out. The power does not return at any speed until I stop the car and turn the engine off. Once it is started again it is fine and has normal good power until the dreaded 65ish mph in 5th. Strange.

I have pushed the engine in different gears and seams fine?!

I have replaced the fuel and air filter.

It feels like a fuel starvation or computer problem but would like some ideas please.

This is the 1.9 TDi ATD 2001 engine

Thanks Darren

user_online.gifreport.gif

Most likely cause will be a boost leak, putting the car into limp mode. You really need to get the fault codes read from the ECU as these will identify the true cause.

At 65MPH in 5th, the turbo needs a lot more boost to keep the momentum going than any other gear.

How long have you had the car? as if you have only just baught it and noticed this then it could be possible that previously it was used as some sort of company car or by an old person that had it restricted? Just a guesse.

by an old person that had it restricted?

No, If it was restricted you wouldn't be able to go over 65 in any gear

It can be the MAF or clogged EGR valve or leaking hoses.

If the EGR valve was clogged then surely a simple "turn off then on" of the engine wouldn't clear it, so you can rule that out

The MAF would be affected in every gear surely