Replacing rear parking sensor - Octavia II Hatch

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have searched for this but have not found a complete answer.

My problem is the parking sensors stopped working on my Octavia II (55 plate) hatchback. After reading several posts I know that the high pitch tone I hear when reverse is engaged and no parking information in the display of the radio means that at least one of the parking sensors is faulty.

After following instructions in one of the posts to switch ignition on (just electrics - not engine), put car in reverse and then listen to each sensor (I didn't realise you could hear them until I tried!:D). I found that one of them is not making any noise so this must be the fault sensor:mad:. If you look at the car from the rear, it is one of the middle two sensors, the one to the left (passenger side).

My question is, is it possible for me to change the faulty sensor without removing the rear bumper? The bumper is secured to the underside of the car so that there is no gap to put my hand in to disconnect and remove the faulty senor. I have seen a post that shows the removal of the bumper from an estate Octavia and it looked rather complicated and time consuming. I was hoping to be able to get away with removing the screws from the underside of the bumper and flexing it out slightly to make room for my hands.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to remove/fit the sensor to the bumper (I have searched already). Do they just simply push and 'click' in place or are they fixed in some other way?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope someone can help.

from Adam.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I have a very similar problem, namely that one of the rear sensors is malfunctioning - it's an 05 Octavia hatchback, same as the previous poster.

Getting at the sensor in the bumper to replace it seems awkward but doable.

My question is where does the other end of the wire from the sensor plug in to the rest of the car? Is this hidden behind the bumper as well?

I'm planning on fitting a towbar to the car soon, so should I just wait till I take the bumper off for this and make the sensor fitting job a lot easier?

Thanks in advance for your help.