Problem Rear Wiper

Hi guys wonder if you could help.

Noticed today whilst driving that the rear wiper just stopped half way. Closer inspection to mechanism, nothing unusual noted.

To get it working again I have to lift boot and close to reset it. If I lift the wiper and wiper arm the mechansim works fine and can put bit of pressure on wiper arm and it will not stop, however if I return the wiper to the window it will do one or two full sweeps then stops usually half way. Cannot figure this out. Perhaps it senses the wiper is worn and stops to prevent damage? Wiper looks in fair condition.

Thanks and suggestions most welcome

Sounds like a motor fault to me. I've seen quite a few where they will work for a while and then stop at any point on the screen. I don't think they've ever made a wiper motor clever enough to know if the wiper blade is faulty. Gut feeling would be motor but may be worth a quick check of the wiring where the boot hinges just incase as the wires do break there which gives various faults.

had the same problem with mine, 57 reg 1.9 tdi estate, found that a sheet I have in the boot had fouled the closing mechanism and although tailgate appeared closed obviously was not. removed and worked fine ever since, Hope your prob is the same