4 wheel alignement

Hi all

Does anyone know where I can get a four wheel alignment done on my octy VRs.In the North East around the Durham area. Im suffering exesssive rear tyre wear on the inner edge and body vibration around 70mph which gets worse as speed increases.

Many Thanks

You will need new tyres to sort the vibration out. I would think the inside edge has worn unevenly and has gone out of shape (common trait of the A5 chassis).

Make sure whoever does the alignment has the revised figures for the rear axle as per Skoda bulletin.

Rear Camber Values

Due to a number of complaints regarding rear tyre noise and wear on Octavia A5 vehicles, the rear camber values can be changed to the following settings -

Old values are: -1°45' ± 30'

New values are: -1°20' ± 30'

This information applies to Standard and Sport suspension.

Quoted from Octavia-vrs.com

Thanks Guys,

STU

I do have the original Dunlop SP Sport tyres on the rear car has done 20K they still have plenty of meat on them but noticable exessive wear on the inner edge on both. Just replaced the front tyres with Goodyear eagles.

I will replace the rear tyres and try a 4 wheel alignment.

I wouldn't mind betting it's the Dunlops causing the vibration. My first Octavia had both front wheel bearings changed under warranty before we discovered it was the tyres.

Due to the drone and drumming from the rear tyres I was going to book my Octy II estate in for a four wheel alignment check before Christmas, but I was too busy to find a free day. A couple of days back when the cold wind didn't rip your face off I swapped the tyres from the front to rear, also checked the pads, rubber bushes etc. (60K on the clock and still 7mm on the front pads!) Yesterday took one of my daughters back to Southampton Uni, which is about a 110 mile round trip and it felt like a totally different car. The drone and drumming from the rear had gone and hadn't transferred to the front. So as soon as I sort a gap in this months work load I'm going to get the alignment checked.

So if you have the rear tyre roar / drone or you think you have a wheel bearing on the way out swop the tyres front to rear first.

Due to the drone and drumming from the rear tyres I was going to book my Octy II estate in for a four wheel alignment check before Christmas, but I was too busy to find a free day. A couple of days back when the cold wind didn't rip your face off I swapped the tyres from the front to rear, also checked the pads, rubber bushes etc. (60K on the clock and still 7mm on the front pads!) Yesterday took one of my daughters back to Southampton Uni, which is about a 110 mile round trip and it felt like a totally different car. The drone and drumming from the rear had gone and hadn't transferred to the front. So as soon as I sort a gap in this months work load I'm going to get the alignment checked.

So if you have the rear tyre roar / drone or you think you have a wheel bearing on the way out swop the tyres front to rear first.

Dunlops??

The originals were Dunlops and the rear tyre drone started when they were down to about 4mm, then I found the rear nearside tyre was unevenly worn so I changed to Goodyears (Have changed the fronts about 3k earlier) and the problem went away, but when the rear Goodyears got down to 5/6mm the drone returned. When I raised the rears and spun them by hand I could feel that the tread blocks were uneven, more so on that nearside tyre.

When it first happened I put the problem down to the Dunlops, but now I'm not so sure.

This problem is quite common for vw cars...My 2007 mod passat tdi had ( have) same problem.Original tyres were Michelin . After 7000 km rear tyres were worned unevenly on the inside and humming noise from the rear was killing me. Two times back at the dealer for four wheel alignment and replacing all four tyres under warranty...Now I have 32000km on the clock and the humming noise is back again. I noticed again that rear tyres had began to worn unevenly on the inside.....I am going to take the car back to the dealer again and hope that they are going to solv this problem.....

I have had my rear suspension aligned at the stealers due to uneven tyre wear and a droning noise about 10K ago. I am sure that the noise is coming back now, its on 42K. I thought that once the correct adjustments had been made that they were fixed until you either adjusted them again or you pehaps whacked the back end such as hitting a kerb etc ?

Can they go out of alignment for seemingly no reason ?

I have exactly the same problem with my car. The noise from the rear is awful. I used to have a Fabia VRS and I told the dealer there was a problem, they said they could not hear anything.

I now have an octy II vrs and the same noise problem.

I want to take it into the dealers but im afraid they will tell me to get lost if i say i want them to do a wheel alignment and set it to the figures listed on the second post.

My local dealer is silbury. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem in the north east and if silbury were able to sort it? Silbury is in newcastle.

Edited by TayzeR

I did discuss the problem with my dealer when it first started and he told me even if it was found that the alignment was incorrect Skoda UK would probably claim the misalignment was due to hitting speed ramps too fast or hittting kerbs etc..

The warranty covers manufacturing defects, so proving that the car was not set correctly when leaving the factory might be difficult.

I had lazer 4 wheel alignment done early last year on octy sport after suffering exessive inner wall wear on all 4 tyres.

Dealer told me it was due to traction control braking inner wheel while cornering but couldn't explain rear wheels wearing.

I replaced all with dunlop 9000's only to regret that choice as they were that noisy it sounded like wheel bearings had gone.

On saturday had all 4 replaced for michelin primacy hp's for £109 each and what a differance, car is so much quieter and feels a lot tighter than on dunlops.

I would never buy dunlops again.

I think its the Dunlops on mine giving me the problem, going to swap them with the fronts which are Bridgestones at the weekend and see what happens. Just briefly checked them and the inside blocks are unevenly worn, despite having the alignment done by Skoda about 6 months ago.