Fabia VRS Head Unit Install

Hi All,

This is my first post, so sorry if this has been answered hundreds of time before.

Im hopefully picking up a VRS this friday :rofl: and have ordered an Alpine IDA X300 to go into the car. What do i need to fit this in my car? I have got hold of a Facia adapter already, is there anything else, i.e. cables, connectors etc?

Any help would be very appreciated as i don't want to mess up this lovely car! :D

Cheers

James!

If the connector on your Alpine takes a old-style antenna plug (about 1-1.5 inches long), you will need the adaptor. They are very cheap and commonly available.

You also may need to swap the switched live and permanent live in the HU wiring loom- they are usually read and yellow (sometimes red and orange), as VAG cars have them the wrong way round compared to many cars.

You will need to switch the wiring, but the Alpine loom will have bullet connectors on the wiring to do this. Just check it remembers radio stations before you push it all the way in.

You will also need an aerial amplifier, these arent expensive and just fit in line with the aerial connection and need connecting into a swtich live such as the amplifier remote wire or the ignition supply.

Be prepared for lots of huffing puffing and swearing especially if you plan on installing an external amp.

There is very little room behind the headunit and it takes some careful angling to get it all to fit in.

There is a gap up to the top left I have pushed my ISO loom into, however with the amplifer and all that gumpf I found I had to cut the bracket out of the back to stop the cage pushing out.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
You will need to switch the wiring, but the Alpine loom will have bullet connectors on the wiring to do this. Just check it remembers radio stations before you push it all the way in.

Sorry for jumping in on this thread.

I have a 2003 1.4 Fabia, and have changed the standard radio cassette for my Sony CD MP3 radio.

I connected it using the standard ISO connection that was in the car and the radio's ISO connector (ie I didn't buy any other connectors).

The problem is that no power gets to the radio when the ignition isn't on therefore I lose the radio presets and the position on the CD. Also it's interesting that when you switch off the ignition the interior light does not come on instantly but after about 3 seconds. Do I need to adjust some wiring or buy something?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

B+ just means battery plus.

The permanent B+ is always on and keeps the settings when the ignition is off.

The switched B+ is on only when the ignition is on

On an ISO radio connector pin 7 should be switched by the ignition (switched B+) and pin 4 should be always on (permanent B+)

• 9 months later...

Hi again guys, after months of inactivity on my part to sort out my car stereo, I've had a go at it, and still cannot get it to retain its settings when the ignition is off. Have a look at the photos below, this is how it is currently configured. Note the red and yellow bullett connectors. Please help.

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

Edited by davetrousers