Octavia II Vrs - Rattle/grind/vibrate on steering

Can anyone offer advice on this problem?

Whenever I turn the steering wheel too far either way, I'm getting a grinding/vibrating/knocking noise from the front of the car. Is it a problem with the steering or what?

I've noticed there are some rubber flaps in the wheel arch in front of the wheels that look ripped. Could this be the tyres rubbing against these? Or have I accidentally had too large a tyre fitted?

Anyone else had this problem?

A knocking noise would suggest a track rod to me. I had a bent one on one of my previous cars and each time i put more than 3/4 lock on it would make a knocking noise. Other than that it could be suspension (would hope not tho on a MKII vRS) or not sure

HTH

Carl:thumbup:

I honestly dont know and would be hazarding a guess. when i had mine done on a previous car it was repaired as part of damage done when a bus drove into the side of me. IIRC i got a quote for about £300 incl labour but im going back to 1999 when it happend.

Im not saying it definitely is that as you say you are getting a grinding/vibrating noise aswell. Mine was just a knocking which would increase with the speed of the car.

Is your car still under warranty? if so get it into a dealer and get them to check it out

HTH

Carl :thumbup:

i agree with mater, i kerbed my audi coupe (which handled like a yacht) resulting in a slightly bent wishbone and damaged track rod. simptoms were similar to yours.

have you hit any humps, pot holes or kerbs particularily hard at any time that you can recall. if not, im sure i read somewhere that the octavias have had some steering rack probs in the past, im sure someone on here can either elaborate or correct me on that.