DSG and autohold

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an 1.8 TSI Superb with DSG, but I have a doubt about autohold and DSG.

I know there is no button to switch off autohold, but I was wondering if autohold goes off if I manually switch off ESP, or if I put DSG in Neutral position.

I'm asking this question because I usually park the car uphill, and it will be dificult if autohold is stopping the car every time I release the brake pedal.

Thank you in advance

thats a very good question you ask. We have the exact same car (1.8TSi DSG) right now and we park on our drive which is uphill. Its not an issue as we drive straight in from the street and stop and park. However I can see that if you need to maneouver it would be awkward.

i will have a play around when i get home as I am in my other car today. I will see if i can disabel the hill hold somehow (i suspect turning ESP off might work as the Hill Hold uses bits of the ESP system to function)

by the way the 1.8 DSG is a cracking combination. Once the engine has warmed up its totally silent and even as you drive and accelerate you cant hear it until you get well over 3000rpm. So in normal daily driving you cant hear it at all !! Its weird when you start it as the start sounds like a diesel and then there is a ticking noise for the first couple of minutes (this must be the injectors in the TSi engine ? when its warm they go much quieter).

The DSG is great - it takes a while to get used to and you need to modify your driving style a bit if you are used to a manual. Its nothing bad - only takes about 3/4 days to work it out. I have the paddles and find i use them to get engine braking when a tight bend is approaching. however I honestly think you can manage with out them and the DSG is very clever and the downshifts work much better than on other auto boxes. Its usually in the correct gear for acclerating out of a bend.

There is a slight jerk from 1st to second when you are driving slowly (ie in traffic). you can overcome this by using it in manual mode and holding 1st a bit longer so it doesnt make it to 2nd or you can put it in sport mode as this holds the gear longer. I am probably being picky here but i just prefer it like this - in normal D mode in traffic it goes into 2nd too early and jerks a bit (nowhere near as bad as the missus jerks when she changes gear in a manual car though !!! LOL)

will check out hill hold and report back later

Thank you very much jcblincs. I'll be waiting for your report. Besides turning ESP off, could you try if there is a position of the DSG Box (for example Neutral positon) that turn autohold off?

As you say I need to maneouver uphill to park the car.

Thanks, you have bought a great with a marvellous motor.

ok. will check. i am sure it only works when "D" is selected but putting in "N" might be a pain as the car will roll back unless you use the brake. hill hold is only active for about 2 seconds and is cancelled as soon as you touch the accelerator so if you move your foot from brake to accelerator and push the accelerator it will cancel hill hold.

I'm asking this question because I usually park the car uphill, and it will be dificult if autohold is stopping the car every time I release the brake pedal.

The answer to part of your original question is in the 'manual' in the Documentation on the main website:

Uphill-Start off-Assist*

The uphill-start off-assist makes it much easier to start off on steep hills. The system assists a start off by holding the brake pressure produced by the brake pedal actuation for approx. 2 seconds after releasing the brake pedal. The driver can therefore move his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal and start off on the slope, without having to actuate the handbrake. The brake pressure drops gradually the more you operate the accelerator pedal. If the vehicle does not start off within 2 seconds, it starts to roll back.

The uphill-start off-assist is active in the event of a 5% slope, if the vehicle door is closed. It is always active on slopes when in forward or reverse start off. When driving downhill, it is inactive.

It is inactive if driving downhill - or the door is open when you hang out to look behind you!!! So if you were trying to manouevre into a parallel parking space on a hill it sounds like it will only work on half the movements??? Is that good or bad???

JCB: Do you have Park Assist? Have you tried it to parallel park on a hill? - with Hill Hold on!!

The point is that I need to park on a parallel space uphill and I have to manouevre several times. With my current car (without autohold) I let it slip slowly while depressing the brake, but I don't know how to make this with a car with autohold (without waiting 2 seconds every time I do a maneuver).

Hi Jonathan,

any news about the test? I'm asking you this favour because my local dealer doesn't have a superb with DSG and autohold to try.

I would be very grateful to you if you could help me.

Thank you very much.

hi - sorry been tied up this morning. Its my day off and I am at home with my 2 year old boy !!

OK - i tested the hill hold a lot last night and this is what i found

1) hill hold comes on automatically whnever you are in Drive "D" and apply the brakes

2) if you turn ESP off the Hill Hold DOES NOT turn off

3) if you press the accleerator it turns hill hold off but you have to press it quite hard (as if you were setting off from a junction or traffic lights) so its not that useful for careful positioning of the car

4) if you put the box in Neutral hill hold does not work

5) if you put it in reverse hill hold does not work so you can maneouver easily in reverse without hill hold coming on

6) maneouvering uphill in the forwards direction is tricky and needs some thought as hill hold comes on every time you apply the brake. You can use the handbrake to stop so hill hold does not come on but i think this migh not be good for the car long term as the car is still trying to drive forwards when the handbrake is on

hope this helps

please ask any more questions if you need to . I have the car with me today so can check and get back to you. I know how annoying it is when the dealer does not have the exact car for you to test.

Thank you very much for your support Jonathan, that's very kind of you. You have resolved all my doubts about Hill Hold and DSG.

I read somewhere that there is a small delay from 1st to reverse gear. Have you noticed it?

Have a good time with your son.

no i havent noticed. i think there is always a slight delay with all auto cars so it perhaps feels normal to me. I drive the superb much more sedately than my other manual car. it is suited to a more relaxed style so i guess io havent noticed. I will pay attention next time I am out and report back

You can use the handbrake to stop so hill hold does not come on but i think this migh not be good for the car long term as the car is still trying to drive forwards when the handbrake is on.

All the time it's in gear' date=' it's still trying to drive forwards, [b']whatever [/b]braking method you use.

Ray

Quick post - never leave a DSG box in drive, apply the handbrake and remove the foot brake. The DSG WILL engage and overheat.

DSG is not a torque convertor auto box. If you leave a DSG in drive and use the foot brake, the clutch will disengage and it is safe. Or stick it in N if you are at lights then you can use the handbrake and remove your foot from the brake.

The 'latest' brochure at 'skoda-auto' says

14. Deactivation of interior monitoring

and the inclination sensor located on the

B-column on the driver’s side will partially limit

alarm functionality and, therefore, for example,

your dog may wait for a while in a locked

vehicle without setting off the alarm.

So it sounds like you 'might' be able to deactivate Hill Hold by deactivating the sensor (internal monitor). Anyone care to check?

All the time it's in gear, it's still trying to drive forwards, whatever braking method you use.

Ray

Yes, but it is reduced with the footbrake on. As you lift the footbrake off you can feel the clutch engage.

The 'latest' brochure at 'skoda-auto' says

14. Deactivation of interior monitoring

and the inclination sensor located on the

B-column on the driver’s side will partially limit

alarm functionality and, therefore, for example,

your dog may wait for a while in a locked

vehicle without setting off the alarm.

So it sounds like you 'might' be able to deactivate Hill Hold by deactivating the sensor (internal monitor). Anyone care to check?

:confused::confused::confused:

in inclination sensor is for the alarm - its in case someone tries to nick the car by towing it away. I dont think this has anything to do with hill hold . hill hold comes on at a very shallow angle compared to the alarm tilt sensor.

:confused::confused::confused:

in inclination sensor is for the alarm - its in case someone tries to nick the car by towing it away. I dont think this has anything to do with hill hold . hill hold comes on at a very shallow angle compared to the alarm tilt sensor.

That sounds fair enough, so agreed. BUT, for Hill Hold to work there still must be a sensor somewhere. Is it likely that they would install 2 sensors or just the 1, with a double function?

That sounds fair enough, so agreed. BUT, for Hill Hold to work there still must be a sensor somewhere. Is it likely that they would install 2 sensors or just the 1, with a double function?

i believe there is a complex sensor set up that includes sensors for the sat nav as well (gyroscopes and wheel position sensors). I drove though the dartford tunnel and the sat nav still showed where i was !!

I will try the button in question but its not very accessible when driving as its behind you in the B pillar. I also dont know if it will work when the ignition is on as you are supposed to press sit when you get out.

I really would have thought that the button on the B-pillar is just another input to the processor which looks after the alarm, and modifies how that behaves to certain inputs.

Thus it is unlikely to have any effect on Hill Start etc.

Andrew

The inclination sensor, has nothing to do with the HH. The best example is a car without alarm, so without the inclination sensor but with HH. In some countries the alarm is optional and still can have the HH ;)