Turbo Failure

Hi

My Turbo has now acheived over 80,000 miles. Obliviously the Turbo no longer has a nice whistle. But can someone help. When idling (engine up to temperature) if I rev the engine and release the pedal the turbo normally dies away. Nowadays it seems to sound like it has a sore throat- rough around the edges. Is this a early warning sign?

Do I let it fall to bits, or is it worth letting the dealer check it out?

What is the likely cost to replace - and how long does it take?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Let the dealer check it out, i had the shaft snap on my 1.9tdi recently. It made quite a mess to the exhaust housing, then stuck in the cat convertor.

What was the cost - or were you lucky enough to have it done under warranty. Also, what is it like when the turbo goes - noise, smoke etc.????

I've just had mine replaced at a little over 100k.

A recon fitted by an independent will cost about £800 and a new one which is dealer fitted will cost about £1200.

I wouldn't wait until the turbo lets go!

Hi

My Turbo has now acheived over 80,000 miles. Obliviously the Turbo no longer has a nice whistle. But can someone help. When idling (engine up to temperature) if I rev the engine and release the pedal the turbo normally dies away. Nowadays it seems to sound like it has a sore throat- rough around the edges. Is this a early warning sign?

Do I let it fall to bits, or is it worth letting the dealer check it out?

What is the likely cost to replace - and how long does it take?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

I've just had mine replaced at a little over 100k.

A recon fitted by an independent will cost about £800 and a new one which is dealer fitted will cost about £1200.

I wouldn't wait until the turbo lets go!

Other option is a refurb if you can live without the car for a few days. Depends upon the tuebo bieng in reasonable nick but should only cost around £400.