Help! 1.9tdi steering problem

I have a Fabia 1.9tdi Elegance Estate. It is an 03 model and has just passed the 14000mile mark.

Yesterday I had to have both front tyres replaced because they had worn unevenly - just on the outside "corner" edges - but not on the flat bit at all. After replacing the tyres, the mechanic checked the tracking and found it was so far out it was completely off the scale.

What he concluded was that the steering rack was bent and that it would need replacement.

Since the car is still well within its warranty period and that I am a careful driver who is not aware of having driven into any particularly large potholes, does anyone know if this is likely to be a warranty repair?

I have never had this problem on previous cars, and am alarmed that even with my careful driving style I should need to replace the steering rack.

Any helpful comments anybody, please, before I take myself off to my local Skoda dealership???

Many thanks,

Xenia

You wont get a warranty claim on the rack for that fault.

I sugest having someone else check the wheel alignment properly. And if one of the steering arms is bent you sould be able to change the end arms and not the complete rack.

If something was that bent you wouldnt be able to drive in a straight line, I fell someone is trying to have your pants down to coin a phrase.

Hi Xenia

What a pain! I hope you get it all sorted soon - I had steering problems the moment I collected my Fabia hatchback few weeks ago (3 year old Classic 1.4)! a local garage did the tracking it was seriously pulling to left - and following week later and 'after all my research into Skoda reliability', Ive ended up having the power sensor replaced (under warranty cover) within 2 weeks of getting the car! So probably like you, Im feeling a bit disheartend with my purchase - and I did so much research making sure I got the best car! Your Estate diesel sounds a great choice and I hope the problem is nothing serious

I lovely driving the Fabia and after the problems so far it hasn't put me off great car!

Good Luck!

Tracey :thumbup:

Dear Ross

So I've heard but after years of trouble mechanically free drving with Toyota Im not impressed so far - if its a common problem its not that helpful for customers is it? Just because its a common problem doesnt make it alright. :thumbup:

No what I meant by that is that you handnt picked a bad car so dont be thinking its going to give you problems forever. I work as a technician in a Skoda dealer and for the most part Skoda's seem very good considering the large majority of my work is servicing and a few fault rectifications. With SEAT it allways seemed to be the other way around.

Go for the warranty - mine was out of warranty when the rack failed at over 50K miles and Skoda offered 50% which after much grumbling I took. The grumbling paid off as a seal went on the new rack a couple of months later and it got replaced under warranty no problems and mileage was over 60K by this time. Moral is it's a good wee car however if Skoda market it as so good then expect it to be so good when you deal with your dealer. Best of luck.