Emissions testing....

LukeM

Evenin guys and gals,

Just a quickie hopefully. Had my MOT and passed after a bulb, but looking at the emossions test it seems to be right upto the limit or very slightyly under. I warmed the car up property before the MOT but put off the service until after the MOT. It hadn't had an oil change in 8k and have no record of the sparks or air filter being changed. All services etc and inspection work has been done at correct intervals by Skoda however. They have all been done now as just had the major 40k service done at the dealer. Do you think the emissions levels are down to this or am I needing new lambda or something more serious?! Not had a great deal to do with Skoda's in the past apart from an old felicia as used to a bullit proof focus :eek:

If your car is not used often or not driven "properly" as in, not taking it up the rev range before changing gear.

This could effect the emission read out.

A slight leak or hole in the exhaust system could also contribute to the high reading.

The tollerances are very minimal on your read outs, there is a tiny band that the emissions have to be in. It just has to be in that band somewhere, you may find its nearer the bottom, or the top.

To be honest, if you manage to get it through another emissions test, i wouldnt worry.

Thanks mate, I do about 20k a year so its in frequent use and i always take it through the rev range so that should be alright. The tolerances are whats concerning, just dont want to be on the wrong side of it as I dont really wanna have to sell me skoda!

What were the actual readings for the four gasses?

Lambda should always be roughly in the middle of the upper and lower limits.

HC should be as low as possible, if high, it points to incomplete combustion

Co2 again should be low as should Co

You can a tell lot from the 4 gas readings, and where the fault (if any) is likely to be.

There are 2 CO figures in there, one should be Co2, but from the lambda reading I would say it is running a little rich. Mates SEAT Leon had near identical figures and an oil change sorted it.