Adjusting the servo rod

After changing the master brake cylinder on an 04 1.9tdi octavia the brakes were staying on after 15 minutes driving thus smoke was coming from the front 2 wheels.I took the master cylinder off and adjusted the servo rod now the brakes are hard but the brakes are releasing but the engine management light has come on.What i need to know please is is there a specific way of adjusting the servo rod.

Bled the brakes the conventional way,back passenger first etc

Did you pump bleed or pressure bleed. As far as I am aware you need to pressure bleed them to avoid master cylinder problems caused by pressing the pedal further than it is designed to go.

I had my VRS octy serviced (60k) last Sept and requested a brake fluid change, the workshop bled the brakes the conventional way and every time I drove it after the brakes started to bind, they reckoned the master cylinder was u/s so replaced it, However when I drove it away from said workshop the symptom persisted so I returned it again.

After 2 days I received a phone call and they informed me the servo was u/s and needed replacing (main stealer only, £££'s).

Turns out that inside the servo is a very flimsy bracket/guide type thing for the servo rod, this had buckled because the pedal was pushed to far forward thus prevented the rod returning, it did over a period of time but as soon as the brakes where used they started to bind again.

I spoke to my local main dealer and all they ever do is pressure bleed the system (as do all my local VAG dealers).

The workshop did the work labour free but my 60k service still cost nearly £500!

Maybe someone can make this a "sticky" warning to all Octavia owners.

Thanks guys butchvrs's reply looks the likeliest cuz thats exactly what was happening.I've tried adjusting the rod but an interestng fact was if i put slight pressure on the underside of the brake pedal the rod seemed to release and the car drove normally but after a few braking times the pedal would become hard and brakes would bind up slightly.So it looks like a trip to the dealers for a new servo.