Knocking sound from under car, engine mounting ?

Hi all

I've got a 2007 VRD TDi with 26K on the clock. Over the last few weeks the car has developed 2 faults which may or may not be related but looking for some advice / opinions before I book search out my local dealer.

Problem 1.

Knocking noise from under car (sounds like it's under the gear level or maybe slightly further forward). Only does a single "knock" when coming on or off throttle , when changing gear (usually down gear) or when starting engine in neutral. It's a single "knock" that sounds fairly solid, no rattle or vibration.

Problem 2.

Floating or wandering sensation from steering. Car needs constant small steering corrections when driving at motorway speeds irrespective of camber on road.

Anybody offer any thoughts on either of these issues ?

Cheers

Chris

Problem 2.

Floating or wandering sensation from steering. Car needs constant small steering corrections when driving at motorway speeds irrespective of camber on road.

Some information about the second problem - http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/tramlining-broken-bonnet-lever-missing-bits/134269/#post1570035

• 4 weeks later...

I had problem the knocking sound at about 17k and it turned out to be a faulty steering rack. The rack was replaced on my 57 plate vRSTDI under warranty, but then I had a battle to get the steering wheel put straight......After many visits and alignment checks, the local VW garage (not Skoda) moved the steering wheel by two splines!

I also have the second problem and it is currently doing my head in, as nobody seems to believe me. There now seems to be a little bit of play in the steering wheel (say 1cm on the circumference) and instead of being able to brace the steering against slight changes in camber I am having to constantly move it to keep the car straight. I liken the sensation to balancing on a narrow beam using my arms. Is this the same sensation you are getting?

Hope this helps and please reply if you have any further info!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you labviewer. Problem 1. My Vrs TDI has only done 6000 miles and everytime i lift my foot off the throtle it makes a knocking noise. However after closer inspection, at my last service, i think the mechanics broke my engine cover off and it will only secure on the nearside clips and not the others. But looking at this thread and reading about davrs' problem with the steering rack change it makes me worry.

Edited by fabiavrs200bhp
forgot name of other thread user

Hi

I have problem 1 on my vrs tdi 08.:confused:

Been at skoda and changed all my engine mounting. And still the knocking sound is there in 1 gear and 2 gear when i go on and off throttle.

I am going back to the dealer for further investigation.