Yes car dealers are struggling to make money, but £705 for a 4th service just seems insane.

2.0 TDI PD, 32k miles:

cam belt, oil + brake fluid and a few filters (and an MOT) = £705

Is this normal / expected?

Have I been completely shafted by my garage?

I've paid them, but am not a happy customer, especially since I had to fork out £950 just a couple of months ago for a new power steering rack.

Any advice (other than never using them again)?

Cheers

Dan

If you split it into approx costs...

Brake fluid - £50

MOT - £50

Cam belt - £350

Service (inc oil and filters) - £250

....none of them look wildly high.

Of course, your local independent will probably be cheaper.

I'd be more annoyed at having to pay £950 for the power steering rack. Granted the car was out of warranty, but with a full dealer service history and only 32k miles (presumably a bit less at the time) I would have hoped Skoda UK and/or the dealer might have made some good will gesture.

The cambelt intervals on a Vrs tdi are 4 years or 75000 miles.

And also with reference to contribution for the steering rack, yes I would have tried Skoda customer care to see if I could get some contribution, BUT why should the dealer have to give contribution? especially if Skoda UK would not?

Thanks for the replies everyone, no longer feeling so cheated.

WRT the steering:

I did ask the dealer to contact Skoda for a goodwill gesture, but the mechanic I spoke to didn't expect any results. I asked him to try anyway and of course Skoda just came back with a "no". Maybe I should have spoken to skoda myself.

I've always just bought bangers before so am rather inexperienced at this whole "nice car = expensive services" game...

Cheers

Dan