Dension Gateway with Text Display?????

not yet, but I think it does depend on what HU youre using. Im in the process of finding out if you can use the video out of the ipod into the AUX video input, it will depend on if the ipod supports external display on playing music rather than just on playing video

I have the swing radio with maxi dot. When I play mp3 CDs the name comes up on the maxi dot. Tried the dension gw16vc1 but it knocked out the audio menu from the display. As soon as i disconnected the dension everything returned to nomal. Dunno war to try now. Any thoughts?

"New CAN applications

Dension are currently working on new Gateway 100 and 300 products which will display text on the cluster of certain vehicles, for example, VW Audi and Opel."

Quoted from denisons homepage.

In other words, theyre working on the maxidot.

You can maybe get text to display on your head unit if it supports CDTEXT, usually black on grey lcd screens, not usually on full colour screens. On the GW100-500 range. Not sure about your model though.

http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=gw100300500userguide.pdf

see part 2.

I have the swing radio with maxi dot. When I play mp3 CDs the name comes up on the maxi dot. Tried the dension gw16vc1 but it knocked out the audio menu from the display. As soon as i disconnected the dension everything returned to nomal. Dunno war to try now. Any thoughts?

If you have Swing, why don't you get the proper MDI interface? You'll have everything you need.

It's about the same price as Dension Gateway.

Edited by downtime

I would get the skoda "mdi" interface but have been told by Skoda Ireland that this is not retrofittable and they do not sell the units aftermarket. the best they came up with for me is an original vw ipod adapter. Of course with the vw unit there is no text display so dunno wat to do!

I would get the skoda "mdi" interface but have been told by Skoda Ireland that this is not retrofittable and they do not sell the units aftermarket. the best they came up with for me is an original vw ipod adapter. Of course with the vw unit there is no text display so dunno wat to do!

Oh but it is retrofittable. It's been done and it's actually quite easy.

It think you can install it to look the same as the original. Original has the interface inside the glovebox.

But you have Swing radio? Not Stream? Your car is the facelift Octavia II?

Yeah my car is the facelift with the swing radio, steering wheel controls and the maxi dot display.

Skoda Ireland said it wasnt retrofitable. where can i get the unit to install it? Obviously the original part would be my first choice and if it is possible to get it i will go down that route.

Yeah my car is the facelift with the swing radio, steering wheel controls and the maxi dot display.

Skoda Ireland said it wasnt retrofitable. where can i get the unit to install it? Obviously the original part would be my first choice and if it is possible to get it i will go down that route.

Skoda dealer should be able to help you.

KUFATEC GmbH sells the VW units (which are the same). But they have the complete unit with surroundigs which are not necessary for Skoda. The surround is for installation to the storage box under the center armrest. Skoda storage box is too small for this.

I think there was a discussion about MDI not long ago.

Here it is :

http://briskoda.net/superb-ii/media-mdi-superb-when/136498/

It's on Superb II area but don't care about it, the part numbers are the same.

i had e-mailed kufatec and they told me that this was not compatible with swing radio and that the would look into it.

Would that display in the maxi dot the artist etc?

Hmm... Why wouldn't it work? If it works with VW RCD310 it works with Swing. They are the pretty much the same radio but with different front panel.

The only problem with the Kufatec's MDI is that they sell the whole unit with the storage box surrounding too. That surrounding doesn't fit in Skoda. You'll just need the MDI interface and the radio adapter cable. And ofcourse the USB or Ipod cable depending which one you'd prefer.

Yes it displays the artist and track info on Maxidot too.

5N0 057 342 Part number is the same as in the link I provided in my previous message, so it should be ok.

• 1 year later...