Speaker Size?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the stock stuff is 13cm in diameter. I'm in the process of trying to find some 16.5cm speakers to fit using Mk4 Golf adaptor rings but every speaker i've tried so far is too deep because the window regulator sits right behind where the speaker goes!

]I believe the stock stuff is 13cm in diameter. I'm in the process of trying to find some 16.5cm speakers to fit using Mk4 Golf adaptor rings but every speaker i've tried so far is too deep because the window regulator sits right behind where the speaker goes[/i']!

I'm using 6.5" Rockford Fosgate Audiophile series speakers in the front doors.

A bit of cutting is required but the hassle is well worth it.

I think there is a 16.5cm speaker called CDT (spelling?) that goes straight in without any bother, and it is supposed to sound ok too, but I haven't heard it myself.

27550.attach

27551.attach

Edited by BOBAD
photo update

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a set of VIBE 16.5 speakers in the front of mine, and the fit was really tight. I ended up fabricating some quite thick rings out of mdf/isopon to space them far enough away from the window, and I also put a spacer on the front of the speaker to push the door panel out slightly, because the clearance wasn't enough. If they'd been 5mm deeper it would have all been over. ;)

For spacers, take a look at the polyurethane foam insulation panels they sell in DIY stores. The foam isn't that dense but you can carve it very easily to shape. If you make it deliberately a little too deep you can compress it and screw the speaker in until it actually makes contact with the window mechanism - to maximise the use of depth. You should put a thin bit of foam on the back of the speaker too to stop any buzzing.

Don't try to make the foam smaller than necessary.

The depth of the hole varies with height (from what I recall) so you might get a few mm more clearance by putting the new speakers slightly higher on the door panel.

Just my tuppence-worth! :o)

I'm using 6.5" Rockford Fosgate Audiophile series speakers in the front doors.

A bit of cutting is required but the hassle is well worth it.

I think there is a 16.5cm speaker called CDT (spelling?) that goes straight in without any bother, and it is supposed to sound ok too, but I haven't heard it myself.

I like your builds. :) Though is it just me... Or is there water coming out of the bottom of the speaker grille into the pocket in your first pic?

J.

I like your builds. :) Though is it just me... Or is there water coming out of the bottom of the speaker grille into the pocket in your first pic?

J.

Thanks for the compliment! :thumbup:

No it isn't water, they are leaves.

I should have cleaned the door sill before taking the pic!