Power Steering Reservoir

After doing an extensive search on part with torch and mirror late last night, I found the embossed number on the flat surface underneath at the front :- 1J0 - 422 -371 C.

I did a search on the internet and this number is also quoted for Golf MK4's.

I need to replace mine as I noticed the front hose was constantly getting wet, upon investigation (almost pulling the hose off the spigot and drying it), that there is a hairline crack in the plastic and you can see the fluid seeping through it as you look.

I'm pretty sure I got a price on one, but it was over a year ago, and I can't remember off the top of my head. Might have it written down somewhere....

At the time someone mentioned they wanted to make an aluminium replacement, but I don't know if anything came of it.

Can't imagine it's too pricey anyway.

Hi Bodge, thanks for your comment,

yes I hoped the same regarding price, I looked on Fleabay and saw one advertised in the USA for about £15. This morning, thinking oh well another trip to the bank, I phoned the local Audi main dealer, and was quoted just over £20 plus vat, when I collect it tomorrow I will post the exact price.

The parts rep' asked me what car is it for, when I told him, his response was "Ooooooo, well it says here its for a Audi A3", then apologised for not having the micro-fisch for Skoda cars. I think ill suggest they invest in it, a untapped market perhaps lol:thumbup:.

I collected the Power Steering Reservoir this morning :-

£20.49 + vat (includes green screw top), swap over should be fun.

I checked the wall thickness of the spigot on the new one (the one thats cracked on mine),

it works out at 1mm, so over tightening the hose clip is not a good idea.

Are the hoses not held on by the spring-type reusable clips then?

Find some tight fitting bungs, or think of a way to clamp the hoses so you don't lose any of the fluid from the hoses when you pull them off.

Good luck with it!

I don't believe the fluid is corrosive either, but someone else better confirm that first!

Good question Bodge,

The material that its made from is glass filled polycarbonate (i suspect 20% glass).

That is a good robust material and dimensionally stable. Ive used it a lot in my component designs. Its fairly strong, but can be subject to cracking if sharp internal corners dont have a blend radii of at least twice material thickness. From a design viewpoint, I think 1mm wall thickness is not sufficient considering the environment its in, (ie knocks, hose changing etc). Maybe im biased tho' lol.

The crack in the spigot wall, well, I could have done that when I replaced the existing "quick release clip" with a adjustable one in stainless and maybe overtightened it or at the very least made the crack worse.

Regarding the materials porosity with power steering fluid or any corrosive effect, I dont have any information regarding long term effects. Maybe someone on here knows.

Thanks for clamping suggestion, ill try that, plus plastic measuring jug (to catch fluid underneath) and lots of rags to protect the car.

Edited by Silver Bullet