Driving a good deal on a low mileage Octavia vRS TDI estate?

I'm doing my homework, and I usually rely on Parkers and the AutoTrader search results to give an idea of market pricing.

But in this climate, it seems the rules are being rewritten!

Anyone got a view on what an Octavia vRS TDI estate, up to 18 months old, less than 10k miles, should *realistically* be bought for from a main dealer?

Haven't seen many private sales around for these but wouldn't rule that out either, obviously.

Low mileage is important to us.

Thoughts welcome!

Campbell

An indication of the general malaise would be the £2k off + 6months VED + free Cruise on an 08 Ambiente 2.0 TDi DSG Estate with 8k on the clock - and they took a 99k miles 54 plate octy Elegance needing a new turbo, cambelt and major service and gave me A1 book for average miles (in Parkers) in PX. Adding that all up, it was worth just over £4k "off" to me on the cost to change, effectively making the price £8.5k........

I won't say name a price, but hold your nerve, DON'T be enthusiastic, and at the end of the negotiations, tell them you need to think about it and stand up to leave. At best they'll offer more off instantly or they'll chase you across the car park (as happened to me a couple of years ago). At worst, you know what their lowest price is. Might help to take wife / partner / mistress and prime him / her to say - in front of the salesman - that s/he doesn't like the colour / ride / something else.... thatl'll give the salesman an incentive to offer just that little bit more off, as a sweetner.

I mentioned to the salesman that it wouldn't kill me to buy a (SEAT) Leon and dropped a couple of autotrader adds for same age/mileage SEATs at a lower price than the octy onto his desk.... didn't matter that they were 400 miles away he knew I'd done my homework :) (Print a quote from "Drive the Deal" and take that also).. oh, and when looking at the vRS, try to dribble from both sides of your mouth simultaneously to prove you're level headed :thumbup:

I brought my vrs tdi 08 registered 57 plate with 3k on the clock, jumbo pack etc, in silver for £12400 from a dealer in london- 2 years warranty and breakdown left as well:)

I would have hagled for a discount but i had problems getting finance from the banks for £12k so i just accepted the price with vw finance arranged. Don't regret it for a bit as i gave my company car an 07 plate focus estate back with such hapiness and joy:D

I think you are doing all of the right things although Parkers is often misleading.

Have you been searching the Skoda Used stock as well?

Yep subscribed for a weekly update and doing ad hoc searches too.

In what ways would you say Parkers is misleading, this could be interesting!

thanks

Campbell

I won't say name a price, but hold your nerve, DON'T be enthusiastic, and at the end of the negotiations, tell them you need to think about it and stand up to leave. At best they'll offer more off instantly or they'll chase you across the car park (as happened to me a couple of years ago). At worst, you know what their lowest price is. Might help to take wife / partner / mistress and prime him / her to say - in front of the salesman - that s/he doesn't like the colour / ride / something else.... thatl'll give the salesman an incentive to offer just that little bit more off, as a sweetner.

I mentioned to the salesman that it wouldn't kill me to buy a (SEAT) Leon and dropped a couple of autotrader adds for same age/mileage SEATs at a lower price than the octy onto his desk.... didn't matter that they were 400 miles away he knew I'd done my homework :) (Print a quote from "Drive the Deal" and take that also).. oh, and when looking at the vRS, try to dribble from both sides of your mouth simultaneously to prove you're level headed :thumbup:

All very useful tips. There is no doubt I have the nerve, we have access to a "stopgap" car once ours is sold so I won't be in a hurry to take the first deal, or price, offered!

The dealers I'm currently talking to are already aware of my homework, I think...

I brought my vrs tdi 08 registered 57 plate with 3k on the clock, jumbo pack etc, in silver for £12400 from a dealer in london- 2 years warranty and breakdown left as well:)

I would have hagled for a discount but i had problems getting finance from the banks for £12k so i just accepted the price with vw finance arranged. Don't regret it for a bit as i gave my company car an 07 plate focus estate back with such hapiness and joy:D

I think this is the best indication I've had yet of the opportunities open to us! I had thought that getting a starting price of £14800 for a pretty similar car (albeit estate?) down to maybe 13-something would have been good. But you have inspired me - thanks :thumbup:

Very useful, Fitz, thanks.

I guess the higher mileage helped keep the price keen. We are currently aiming at as low a mileage example as we can find, however I know that mechanically diesels go on for ever so perhaps I should lift that criterion a little in the interests of a bargain!

Below is a free vauation for trade-in purposes from the Vauxhall website. I don't know if this helps!

Skoda Octavia vRS

2.0TD Diesel 5-door Estate

6 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive

Year: 2007 57

Mileage: 10,000

spacer.gif

hdr_estimatedValue.gif

blackDot.gif

spacer.gif

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition:

£13250

Average condition:

£11850

Below average condition:

£10550

just got 07 vrs tdi jumbo box, climate, electric rear windows, 57 plate, 18" zeniths, 4000 miles

£12,000

So, yes, the deals are there

Willis in Ruislip seem to be the place

Hatch or Estate, out of interest? Your spec is just what we'll be after, if the latter!

Hatch or Estate, out of interest? Your spec is just what we'll be after, if the latter!

Its a hatch- get it in sat cant wait

they had at least 5 in all similar mileage all same price IIrc but think they're all gone now

was visiting customer today he had lovely audi a4 but that had lesser spec engine (140/150bhp ) than the skoda...and cost him 10 grand more....

Thanks Jonno.

Out of interest...are you able to compare your CR engine to the preceding PD, by any chance?

Have read comparisons elsewhere but as time goes by, the CR models may creep into our budget...

ta

I've driven the PD vRS and it's a good engine, just not as refined as the CR. The torque comes in very aggresively whereas the CR is more like the TFSI in it's power delivery.

The CR also doesn't really sound like a diesel at idle.

I drove a PD TDI vRS for a day (Silbury Skoda in Cramlington lent me one while mine was in for something) and I remember thinking that if I changed from my TFSI to one that I wouldn't be disappointed.

Cool.

Our current wagon, the Golf TDI 150 Anniversary, has been a belter and I am more than happy with the PD power delivery. Our recent drive of a vRS 170 PD showed the same characteristics but with evidence of those extra lb ft :-) I have become very accustomed to the short-rev-range dollop of torque. But can adjust easily...our other car is an Elise and "in the zone" it's all about linear power delivery and revs!

The CR sounds really interesting. The longer it takes to sell the Golf, the more likely that CR-engined vRS's get into my budget bracket...hence the acute interest.

cheers again

Campbell