DSG Clutch Question

With the DSG gear box, if you are stood still with the engine running and your foot on the brake am I assuming correctly that both clutches are fully released, it isnt sat there slipping a clutch is it?

Also when using launch control im guessing it does the same, foot on the brake, and the clutches come in with a bang when you let your foot off?

Thanks,

Dan

With the DSG gear box, if you are stood still with the engine running and your foot on the brake am I assuming correctly that both clutches are fully released, it isnt sat there slipping a clutch is it?

Also when using launch control im guessing it does the same, foot on the brake, and the clutches come in with a bang when you let your foot off?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, when the brake is applied the clutch is released, but ready to engage operate as soon as the brake pedal is released

I think you will find that if you are in gear (drive, sport or manual) and stationary then the first gear clutch is permenantly slipping- to test simply ease your foot off the brake and you will feel the car try and creap forward, there is no magic complete dissengage with the foot break fully depressed

This also applies if you put the handbrake on, you will feel the car move up on its haunches with the drag from the clutch.

This subject has been cover in several other threads and this is the definitive concensus.

If the car if stationary and in gear then the clutch will be slipping, though wear is considered minimal

I think its disappointing the clutch doesn't disengage when the car is completely stationary with a foot on the brake. Surely it would just be a software tweek. I'd be inclinded to pop it in neutral if at a standstill for long.

As said, if you put the handbrake on but foot off the clutch the car will fight the handbrake.

If you take your foot off the footbrake does it take up drive instantly or is there a substantial delay?

id expect that, but I thought the mechatronics would be setup so when it detects the car is stationary with the foot brake applied that it releases both clutches, and then when you let off the brake it gradually feeds them in so the car rolls forwards.

I thought that was the reason the car could roll back on hills

I just order a golf with the new 7 speed DSG, salesman told me to leave it in D for lights etc even on hills, foot on the brake will disengage the clutch to save wear, and as the new DSG has hill-hold as standard when you release the brake no roll back will happen, you can then just accelerate as normal.

I think its disappointing the clutch doesn't disengage when the car is completely stationary with a foot on the brake. Surely it would just be a software tweek. I'd be inclinded to pop it in neutral if at a standstill for long.

As said, if you put the handbrake on but foot off the clutch the car will fight the handbrake.

If you take your foot off the footbrake does it take up drive instantly or is there a substantial delay?

My experience with my DSG is that, if you come to a stop and leave it in D then take your foot off the brake quickly to move away but dont put your foot on the accelerator, there is a slight delay as the clutches engage, however, if you take your foot off the brake and even lightly touch the accelerator, drive is taken up immediately. Also, if you stop and flick into neutral then flick back to D when ready, drive is also taken up immediately.

Sounds strange but fine when you get used to it.

Lummox said once that the Clutches should last the lifetime of the car, I had problems getting the box oil changed for the first time as no one here knew how to do it apart from Skoda but no problems so far.

I just hope they last 200K or 4 years, thats how long I keep my cars as taxis for

if you search in other forums, you will see that a lot of people had problems with the mechatronic unit and they had to change it. These failures though happened mainly within the warranty period. No actual cluches failures and extensive wear have been seen.

Noone yet knows if the new DSG 7s will show any similar problems with the mechatronic....

i assume 'mechatronic' refers to the computer controlled servo system to select the gears and operate the clutches.

i shift mine into neutral when sitting at rest for an extended period. although with the brake depressed the clutch is disengaged it is still in gear so the plates are spinning past each other. my theory is this must consume energy and wear the oil.

if on a hill, then i use the handbrake to hold the car as i move from brake to accelatator as the car will roll back before the clutch picks up.

also in slow traffic i will switch to manual as the car prefers to slip the clutch in 2nd rather than re-engage 1st. to my mind this cant be good for one of the clutches for extended periods. and as i am sure many of us know we get to be in queues of traffic all too often in this country.

still love the 'box though. this way of working gives wonderfully crisp gearchanges.

I have the new Octy 1.4 TSi with the 7 speed DSG on order and it will be my first experience of owning this double clutch type transmission. Have had Honda & Toyota semi automatics in the past which are fine in sequential mode but unpleasant & jerky in full auto mode.

Is it the 7 speed DSG only that comes with the hill start control? - also the 7 speed only seems to make its appearance with petrol versions? Seem to remember reading somewhere that the 7 speeder will also be suited to stop/start technology.

I also stick mine into neutral when stationary for anything other than a few seconds - might not do any good but it certainly won't do any harm and can only prevent wear. When all said and done, a disengaged clutch will still drag and wear.

I'm generally happy with mine - up changes can be very smooth, down changes less so, particularly if the throttle is feathered. 4th to 3rd is particularly jerky. I also find that up-changes in the lower gears are smoother in manual than allowing it to do it's own thing.

I agree about the slipping in 2nd thing - I drive mine in tiptronic a lot of the time on the open road and only stick it in auto in town.

Have knocked it into neutral a few times when changing in up manually in auto mode . . . duh!!!