Adding POIs

I am late, and I see that you have already given up waiting for answers, but I'll still try to give you some hints how to add your own POIs to the Columbus.

I have made a modified DVD thanks to bilouseb at the www.touranpassion.com forum.

I first added my POIs with the free rns510.poi.inspector.v2.5, made by rds76 at the VWnavi.com forum, every change saved in the localsave folder made by this program.

Then I opened the Columbus DVD image with UltraISO and copied the entire content of the localsave folder into the DVD image folder \tpd\ntcWeu_eu_20070806\.

Then I opened the file cdrom.toc in an editor, fx WinVi (not Notepad) and changed the CD volume no. from CD_6317 to CD_ 6315 and saved the changed cdrom.toc to the image.

I could now save the new image with my POI files from the rns510.poi.inspector localsave folder and the changed cdrom.toc file to a new DVD image, giving the image the name CD_6315 as in the edited cdrom.toc file.

The modified DVD image could now be burned to an empty disc and then installed to the Columbus.

5D_0902_003.jpg

I feel that my english vocabulary may be insufficient to give a good description of the procedure. Read more at:

TOURANPASSION :: Voir le sujet - RNS 510 [Ajout de POI] - VW Touran - le site

It works! And I hope this can help you preserve some hairs. :thumbup:

I removed my post because I thought that I'd succeeded - but it turned out not to be so. I had read a 22-page thread on the VWnavi.com forum, not realising that the first 16 or so pages were all written before version 2.5 of the POI inspector came out! That meant that I'd duplicated corrections to various .LSC files I didn't need to do.

I've now followed your very clear instructions. I used "VEdit" to deal with the cdrom.toc file and I'm just about to burn a new DVD. Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Ray.

The DVD burned OK and I loaded it into the Columbus. The new POI category showed up and I selected the new POIs and others. The new icons didn't show until after a re-boot ( < + > + i ), but they're on-screen now! Thanks again. :)

Ray

I wish that Skoda/VAG and Siemens VDO would realize that their customers have different needs and individual preferences for showing POIs in their car navigation systems.

The navigation system should include a user-friendly function to modify and add POIs to make the navigation suit personal preferences.

Users have developed methods for adding POIs, but the procedure asks for more computer knowledge than you will expect from the average car owner. And nobody have yet found a way to make the Columbus give sound warnings when approaching POIs.

This is not the functionality level we expect from a mature system. Skoda/VAG and Siemens VDO have still some work to do.

i agree with jstolen. A £100 tomtom does all these things. The columbus is way behind.

Saying that I have not used mine other than playing with it as I know where I am going most of the time !