electric windows problem

Hello,

First time on. Can anyone help with an electric window problem on my Octavia mk2 Elegance. The switch unit can operate rear windows as well. Drivers window is not working, was intermittent prior. I can still hear a "clicking" sound from inside the door when pushing or lifting the button. Local Skoda dealer says it needs "new electric window control unit for drivers door"(approx £225). They said they have tested the switch and it's ok, but the passenger door now occasionaly plays up. Apart from the switch by the door handle, is there also a control unit inside?, and for each door??

cheers, peter

There is a single control unit that does all the doors, if the dealer said the switch is ok and you can here the relays clicking then it suggests that maybe the window regulator or motor is stuck/sticking. It was a common problem on the mk1 octavia, but dont know if the mk2 uses the same/simillar parts. What happens when with your headlights on, you operate the switch, do they dim?. if they do it suggests the motor is drawing current but something has the window jammed.

thanks for your help on this. Yes the lights dim, and interior light also.

The "single control unit that does all the doors" that you mentioned... is that the box directly under the 4 buttons?or is the box part of the switch? is switch/control unit same thing.?

operating the passenger window from drivers side now a problem, but button on passenger side still perfect.

I just dont want to part with £200+ then be told i need a new window motor as well.

The lights dimmimg means that the motor in the door is attempting to be driven, the regulator maybe jammed on something inside the door.

When the dealer checked, maybe they left a wire loose or something and thats why you cannot operate the passenger window from the drivers door.

I believe, but I am not sure that the controller is inside the drivers door.

the motor works when I hold down the lock or unlock buttons on the key. Can only be control unit as you had mentioned. I believe the control unit is directly underneath the 4 switches on the panel on drivers door. before i buy a new one i will attempt to get it out and leave on a heater overnight as this was caused by my wife throwing a snowball which immediately melted over switches after bulls eye.

On another note just had Octavia back after 80k service and belt being done by Ingram's in Ayr. First long drive and the fuel filter housing top seal started gushing out diesel. AA repaired in 5 mins.