vag-com boost measurement

iep

I have a vag-com setup and used it the other nigth to check for fault codes on my shiny new (to me) 2003 vRS. No faults. Winner.

Now I'm curious about the more advanced measurment blocks that seem to be available for the vRS that my 1995 Golf VR6 did not include.

Boost for example, how/where would I find that? And waht about these rumours of bhp measurements?

Perhaps my version of the vag-com software or the dongle itself are too old but none of these measurements were obvious to me.

Cheers,

iep

To see above about block ~25 you need at leat a registered version of the software. This cost $99 and works fine with the £10 cable I got off of ebay.

For bhp, select block 2, and record a run in 3rd gear from 1krpm to the red line, your bhp = maf/0.8, plot on a graph in excel and the post it here.

Ther is another way to get bhp from the torque estimate but I think it is less accurate.

freegeek, checked it out on the rosstcjh site and you're right. Shareware only gives access to measurement blocks 1-25.

What version of the software are you using and where did you get it for only $99?

Cheers,

iep

Sorry, just found it on the ross-tech site. $99 for a license. Still curious to learn what version of the software you are using with your £10 cable though.

Cheers,

iep

To see above about block ~25 you need at leat a registered version of the software. This cost $99 and works fine with the £10 cable I got off of ebay.

For bhp, select block 2, and record a run in 3rd gear from 1krpm to the red line, your bhp = maf/0.8, plot on a graph in excel and the post it here.

Ther is another way to get bhp from the torque estimate but I think it is less accurate.

Great stuff, cheers :)

Thanks freegeek. Bought license and can now see the boost measurement block. Just need to take it out for a spin and see what I get (it's back in the garage today having it's sills repaired from the last time it was in the garage).

Couple of last questions.

1. Any reason to choose 3rd gear to do the 1k - Redline run as part of the BHP calc?

2. Would it work with 2nd gear (as this would mean not having to break the speed limit by quite a lot)? I guess 2nd gear might not be ideal as it rolls from 1k to the Redline very fast and you won't get so many samples?

3. does it need to be carried out on a flat road or can you do the run uphill?

Cheers,

iep

The issue is just the number of samples, in 3rd you will get more so are more likely to hit the peak number.

I am not sure about going uphill, I guess it will give more samples but don't know what it will do to the actual peak performance number.

Cheers freegeek. I'll have to find myslef a long flat and very quiet road somewhere then. Perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away here but I've even bought myslef a cheap used laptop to do all this with (saves me having to nick my dad's).

iep