Leaking!!

After removing the undertray I've found evidence of an fluid (oil) leak around the area circled in red in the attched picture. The pic is from the Haynes manual for a passat but is representative.

The car has done 108k miles and the leak is more than seepage (if you know what I mean).

Any ideas what I am looking at? Is that part of the cooling system? Where could the leak be coming from?

All help appreciated folks :thumbup:

27853.attach

27854.attach

27855.attach

27856.attach

Strikes me as intercooler seals, they normally leak.

IMHO, as it's just cosmetic, just remove the tray and have a quick spritz of Muc-Off or Megs' APC or something, wipe & leave. It'll only come back so it's hardly worth replacing.

Strikes me as intercooler seals, they normally leak.

IMHO, as it's just cosmetic, just remove the tray and have a quick spritz of Muc-Off or Megs' APC or something, wipe & leave. It'll only come back so it's hardly worth replacing.

Nice one Bluefox. Thanks for the advice.

I would agree, although you could change the "O" ring seals as they fret and wear. You obviously have the Haynes manual 4279 for the Passat (first picture). It's full of errors - for instance item 11 in the picture is not the bottom radiator hose, it's the charge inlet to the intercooler.

More seriously, this book has the oil specifications completely wrong for the PD engines - so use it with care.

rotodiesel.

After removing the undertray I've found evidence of an fluid (oil) leak around the area circled in red in the attched picture. The pic is from the Haynes manual for a passat but is representative.

The car has done 108k miles and the leak is more than seepage (if you know what I mean).

Any ideas what I am looking at? Is that part of the cooling system? Where could the leak be coming from?

All help appreciated folks :thumbup:

Can't imagine David Bailey quaking in his boots! ;)

Can't imagine David Bailey quaking in his boots! ;)

Afer a quick google search to find out who the hell David Baily is, my official response is ... you are right. In fairness though bailey probably doesn't have to lie on his back under a car while juggling a torch and a camera phone in order to do his best work. ;)

Afer a quick google search to find out who the hell David Baily is, my official response is ... you are right. In fairness though bailey probably doesn't have to lie on his back under a car while juggling a torch and a camera phone in order to do his best work. ;)

No, but I wonder what he'd produce if he did... interesting...

Made a decision on if you're changing the seals btw?

No, but I wonder what he'd produce if he did... interesting...

Made a decision on if you're changing the seals btw?

Going to leave it for now and just keep an eye on it. Hopefully it'll not get worse.