Sticking things to Dashboards

What do people here use to hold bits of dashboard trim in place?

My radio is surrounded by the adaptor that fills the gap left behind by the bigger Skoda radio and another bit of plastic that came with the Sony unit I have now. When my old boss fitted it for me last year he used some blobs of silicon filler to hold the plastic bits in place. The idea was that they'd be easy to remove if I ever wanted to put the original back when selling the car.

The silicon filler dried to form a kind of clear plasticky stuff and held for about a year. Since then I've resorted to using Blu-Tack but this is less than ideal because it gets soft and stringy when it warms up. It's also embarrassing to have people's ideas about Skodas confirmed by having bits fall of the dashboard at regular intervals.

The fascia panel / adaptor thing-a-majig widget doofler (gotta love my techincal terms) should fit OVER the din cage HU insert-into thingy. ;) Basically the lip on the outer edge of the HU's cage/surround should hold the panel into its needed spot without the need for blu-tack. ;) Best tell your boss he didn't fit it right. :D

edit: to cure this, remove the HU, wires and all, remove the cage, insert fascia panel over cage, insert cage putting wires through the middle obviously. Once the cage is in, re-connect the connectors into the HU and shove it back in. Bob's your mother's brother!

Thanks for both replies. I'm not sure that the surround for my radio would hold the adaptor in. As I said, the radio came with a plastic surround of its own. This clips onto the cage but not very firmly. It's held in place by the bigger surround thingy.

The attached shows both surrounds without the radio front.

Now that you've planted the idea that it might not be fitted correctly, I'll take a closer look later.

2039.attach

If all else fails, motor accessory shops sell double-sided fixing tape made specifically for car use. It comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses and sticks extremely well.