Doing work myself

My car was in for a service yesterday, and needed a new radiator, which was fitted at the garage. However, I couldn't afford to have done all the things that need doing.

The car also needs front discs and pads, new spark plugs, the rocker valve switch (whatever that is) is leaking a little bit, and the throttle body has "slight build-up".

Would I, as a novice, be able to tackle any of these jobs myself? If so, could anyone give me any guidance as to how I might do it? The car is a 2004 Fabia 1.4 16v.

My car was in for a service yesterday, and needed a new radiator, which was fitted at the garage. However, I couldn't afford to have done all the things that need doing.

The car also needs front discs and pads, new spark plugs, the rocker valve switch (whatever that is) is leaking a little bit, and the throttle body has "slight build-up".

Would I, as a novice, be able to tackle any of these jobs myself? If so, could anyone give me any guidance as to how I might do it? The car is a 2004 Fabia 1.4 16v.

I would suggest that you also buy a haynes manuel.

I was 18 when I had my vRS and managed to do the discs and pads myself with no issues. The spark plugs are also easy to change so you shouldn't have any issues.

I would do these little bits first - Please do make a post or give me a PM if you have any trouble. I'm sure other forum members will be willing to give you a hand depending on your location!

Hope this helps,

Rob

I would suggest that you also buy a haynes manuel.

I was 18 when I had my vRS and managed to do the discs and pads myself with no issues. The spark plugs are also easy to change so you shouldn't have any issues.

I would do these little bits first - Please do make a post or give me a PM if you have any trouble. I'm sure other forum members will be willing to give you a hand depending on your location!

Hope this helps,

Rob

Many thanks. That gives me a bit of confidence.

Have just bought a Haynes manual on eBay for £15. Hopefully it will prove to be a good investment if it saves me some money in the long run. I'd be delighted if I could do the brakes myself, as I've been quoted the best part of £200 to do them, so if I could do it for the cost of the parts, that'd be a huge saving.

Have just bought a Haynes manual on eBay for £15. Hopefully it will prove to be a good investment if it saves me some money in the long run. I'd be delighted if I could do the brakes myself, as I've been quoted the best part of £200 to do them, so if I could do it for the cost of the parts, that'd be a huge saving.

Theres a good guide in the technical guides section on doing the brakes :)

Update - replaced my spark plugs today. Should have been an easy job really, but the handle broke off my piece-of-sh!t Halfords spark-plug wrench halfway through the process. Had a mare, trying to get the plugs out using what remained of my wrench in combination with a pair of pliers! Anyway, job done - I have used Bosch Super 4 plugs, and have given her a test drive. Seems to be running smoothly. :cool: