Shes Going

Put a deposit on a new car today, it had to happen as she's getting too old for my liking and I prefer to run within manufacturer's warranty, after nearly two years of running her I have to say she ain't been a bad buy and I don't regret buying her either, but that times arrived as it generally does regardless of which car I have at the time for something younger.

Alas it twasn't to be, the money was right the px was right, everything was right until I drove it, the steering wheel was off centre by a good margin although she didn't drift, and the final nail the DSG either bit like a viper or did nothing, very reminiscent of a dodgem car or milk float, I dunno what it could be but at 4k per pop and my experience of how Skoda don't like paying their dealers to fix faulty cars I thought it best to walk, I wasn't that impressed with the car either, it rode harsh and felt like a go-kart, materials are a pale shade compared to what you normally get in a VW, still on the up side the dealer was fantastic and helpful, and understanding, and even admitted the box wasn't right, so full marks to him for that.

Funny thing, while this was all happening it made me really see just how good the Superb actually is, it slaughtered the new one in almost all dept's.

Deal is dead right now, I'm gonna ask my mate if I can have a go in his and see if it's any different, and if they can sort it maybe the deal can come alive again, really miffed tbh, long drive to view, had set my heart on it only for it to fall down on test.

All been revealled, car is a former rental hack, so I'm guessing the off centre wheel is the result of a non reported claimed accident in the past on the part of the rental company, can't blame the dealer for this, it looks like it's been bought in and rolled on the front without any inspection as of yet until someone buys it, again all faults were offered to be fixed, but offering and actually managing to fix are two different things, especially if it has a twisted chassis.

So, I'll retitle this thread...Shes Staying.

excellent choice.....ive thought about changing my one up for the new superb.......the more i compare it, the more i want to keep mine....plus i wouldnt buy a new car in 1st yr of production,,,,,,,,,give the manufacturer time to hone out certain problems that appear unexpectedly

excellent choice.....ive thought about changing my one up for the new superb.......the more i compare it, the more i want to keep mine....plus i wouldnt buy a new car in 1st yr of production,,,,,,,,,give the manufacturer time to hone out certain problems that appear unexpectedly

It wasn't a Sup 2, it was a Passat, but it didn't have the feel the Sup 1 has tbh, it all looked nice but I got the feeling certain things were made of balsa wood when it should've been pine at least, I'm gonna run mine another year now, even the 1.9 engine felt more solid than this newish 2.0, sales guy even said to me, ohh the trusty 1.9, which said to me, hey you've got one of the good engines, unlike this one you're looking at, reading the reviews there seems to be plenty of expensive problems with the Passat, so I think a wide berth is called for, I need reliable cars, the Sup 1 has proved to be one of those, the Passat I'm not so sure.

Supurbia, I did look at potential replacements for my Superb, and the only "true" replacement is the audi a6, in a configuration which costs almost double of Superb's purchase price.

I find my Superb very reliable over the past 52k miles, but sadly, it suffers now from the all common shortened trunk and broken bumper problem, see my other thread on Easter drivers... and yet it still drives very well at 130mph+ (tried yesterday on a trip central Poland - Germany)

Well, glad to hear you're sticking with the Superb - for a minute there I thought we'd lost you back to the Griffin...

I really want something DSG tbh Foxy, I've always liked the Passat, but they seem to be too expensive, the one I was having was about 1500 quid under what a dealer normally asks for that model, but it was x hire car, and it had too many issues that could've lead to me not being able to work, I was prepared to let them fix the Mechatronic unit, but a badly off centre steering wheel and 3/4 of a tank of diesel in it says to me it came off the road faster than originally intended, cos nobody leaves that much fuel in a car they're selling, my guess is it got smashed while on hire and once they'd fixed it they sold it straight on, I was miffed tbh, I'd set my heart on it, she's a 2.0 140 DSG Sport + Sport Pack model, but if I'm spending 5 figures I want a car thats right, not some hack that the whole of Coventry has had a drive of, besides if it has had a shunt where I suspect it's got a bent rear axle beam, looked at the rear wing and the colour was right but there was something in the paint texture that didn't match the rest of the car, and I think the shut line on the rear door was slightly out as well, as for the future my plan is another 12 mths of Madame Supurb, and then possibly another 12 mths or a genuine Passat if the monies right, or I guess it'll be an Insignia if that's the right price for one, the DSG is a worry, it's not perfected yet and twice the cost of an auto box when it goes wrong, as I'm limited to a certain amount anything newer than 18 mths old is above budget.

But yer ain't got rid of me yet, lol

Besides like I said earlier, when I tested the Passat it felt like swapping a gold medal for a silver one.

Besides like I said earlier, when I tested the Passat it felt like swapping a gold medal for a silver one.

I couldn't agree more.

If it were me I'd watch the used market for a Superb II, I suspect they'll depreciate as much as the Superb I did.

I couldn't agree more.

If it were me I'd watch the used market for a Superb II, I suspect they'll depreciate as much as the Superb I did.

There's no such thing as a cheap VAG car S/H, or not as cheap as I need it anyway, this one cost me the best part of 10k and it was almost 3 yrs old when I got it, not a bad return for the dealer on a car that was 18k new, Passat's are 13-15k for a 57 example with low miles, and I've had to rethink that as well as my mates DSG Touran has just decided to become a pop band at 50k, no way am I risking that, it would seem the DSG isn't perfected yet and it doesn't take a lot of miles to break one, I'm in absolute limbo right now as to what to do, I get the gut it's time to move it on before it becomes a liability, but my only real alternatives are another Vectra, and I'm not sure that I want to own another one right now, Insignia,Mondeo are too dear right now, Avensis doesn't grab me to look at, I dunno, I think I'll walk in future :D