1.4 tsi dsg driven

:)I had the chance to drive a 1.4 tsi with dsg on saturday and I thought some posters might be interested in my impressions. It was a SE estate. The interior space both rear leg room and shoulder room will be familiar to Octy owners: I had 4 adults and a child on board and there were no complaints, though I'm not sure 3 adults across the back would be comfortable for long. Ride was slightly firm but compliant, certainly comfortable and predictable on the 15" rims. i couldn't really judge the handling as no demanding roads, but certainly there was no noticeable body movement.

The most extraordinary feature was the perfromance. Despite having a full load of passengers (tank nearly empty to be fair), acceleration was all you'd want. i would describe it as brisk. I didn't have the opportunity to go above 60, but 30 to 60 was effortless, with smooth, almost imperceptible auto gear changes. I didn't recall ever seeing I was in 7th though, so wonder if this is a particularly high cruising gear. It felt much more than120 bhp. obviously the 150 lbs torque from low down was significant.

lastly the engine was impressively refined, even under acceleration, though there was some moderate road noise, perhaps exaggerated by the empty estate load area.

i drove a 1.8 tsi manual a few months ago and while quick, I don't think the difference between the two engines was much in the real world.

:)I had the chance to drive a 1.4 tsi with dsg on saturday and I thought some posters might be interested in my impressions. It was a SE estate. The interior space both rear leg room and shoulder room will be familiar to Octy owners: I had 4 adults and a child on board and there were no complaints, though I'm not sure 3 adults across the back would be comfortable for long. Ride was slightly firm but compliant, certainly comfortable and predictable on the 15" rims. i couldn't really judge the handling as no demanding roads, but certainly there was no noticeable body movement.

The most extraordinary feature was the perfromance. Despite having a full load of passengers (tank nearly empty to be fair), acceleration was all you'd want. i would describe it as brisk. I didn't have the opportunity to go above 60, but 30 to 60 was effortless, with smooth, almost imperceptible auto gear changes. I didn't recall ever seeing I was in 7th though, so wonder if this is a particularly high cruising gear. It felt much more than120 bhp. obviously the 150 lbs torque from low down was significant.

lastly the engine was impressively refined, even under acceleration, though there was some moderate road noise, perhaps exaggerated by the empty estate load area.

i drove a 1.8 tsi manual a few months ago and while quick, I don't think the difference between the two engines was much in the real world.

Thanks for that report, I had been wondering if any 1.4TSi DSGs had hit our shores yet.

From your assessment, it sounds very similar to the experience I had with the equivalent Golf. That was very torquey and refined with the DSG offering smooth and seamless changes which was all very impressive. Using the auto mode for 99% of the time, I did see 7th gear registering at quite lowish speeds while on a very light throttle. The Golf was also reasonably quiet as regards road noise and as with many of our roads, my test route was far from the perfect surface.

It is always a slight concern ordering a car without driving the actual model, something I would not normally do, so hopefully I've made a good choice.

My car is scheduled for build next week.

Bassa, i'd be surprised if you weren't very pleased with your choice. Are you going for estate or hatch? If I recall you've gone for Elegeance spec?

It will be the Elegance hatch and now that the ESP query has finally been clarified (standard on DSGs) the only factory fitted option I'm having is the non Bluetooth MF 3 spoke steering wheel. That package includes the Maxidot as well as the remote controls for it. As far as the paddle shifts are concerned, I do not visulise using those to any great extent. - may be wrong of course.

I chose one of the new colours - Arctic Green which I still have to see in the flesh - I have seen the other new colour Aqua Blue. They are both silvers really with a tinge of colour. After June, I believe another new colour will be available with the title of "Rosso Brunello" , a sort of maroon metallic - who on earth dreams up these names ?

Good to read a review - I currently drive an A3 2.0TDi 170 DSG - had a 140 DSG before and th 1.4TSi has similar performance and mpg figures.

If you do much rural driving you will use the paddles - I use them all the time on twisty NSL roads. I wouldn't be without them for this use alone.

:)I had the chance to drive a 1.4 tsi with dsg on saturday and I thought some posters might be interested in my impressions.

I am indeed interested, thanks for your post. Good to hear it goes well. I've tried several cars with this engine, one of which was an Octavia, and one of which was a 7 speed DSG, but didn't manage to test drive the whole combination in one car.

Got my Elegance estate on order, build week same as Bassa's - looking forward to it.

Did you manage to get any handle on the fuel consumption (through fuel computer readings)?

Afraid not. A characteristic of the engine is that it is responsive and free revving. I suspect you'd pay the price in fuel economy if you try to get the most out of its 120bhp. Having said that, the torque should mean fewer gear changes and no problem maintaining a steady high speed so Skoda's claim of 42+ mpg should be achieveable with careful driving.

By the way Bassa, this model was Arctic Green, and was noticeably greener in daylight than one I saw in a showroom which I think I would have thought was silver if I hadn't known otherwise. An attractive and subtle colour which suits the car. I've not seen the equivalent blue one, but I think Audi used to do a similar colour.

Afraid not. A characteristic of the engine is that it is responsive and free revving. I suspect you'd pay the price in fuel economy if you try to get the most out of its 120bhp. Having said that, the torque should mean fewer gear changes and no problem maintaining a steady high speed so Skoda's claim of 42+ mpg should be achieveable with careful driving.

By the way Bassa, this model was Arctic Green, and was noticeably greener in daylight than one I saw in a showroom which I think I would have thought was silver if I hadn't known otherwise. An attractive and subtle colour which suits the car. I've not seen the equivalent blue one, but I think Audi used to do a similar colour.

The Aqua Blue I have seen which again is affected by light conditions. In the showroom it appeared a blueish silver (which is what it is supposed to be) whereas outside in sunny conditions, dependant on angle, it varied between plain silver and a sort of light greyish silver. However it did suit the car and was a strong contender prior to my final choice. Previously I had owned a Honda Civic that was very similar to the Aqua Blue. Honda called it Blueish Silver, so decided on a change for this time. There is a quite a lot of superstition regarding green cars as being unlucky but I feel the Arctic Green, at least going by the dealership's swatch, is really silver but with a light greenish hue - much as the Aqua Blue being silver with a blueish hue

During your test drive were you able to assess the Hill Hold function?

I haven't driven 1.4 tsi, but I considered this engine too. Finally I chose 1.8. I would expect to see fuel consumption of 1.4 tsi dsg only a tiny bit lower than 1.8 tsi dsg.

I can only report on the 1.8 tsi dsg after ca. 1100 miles on the clock. If I take the care out of town and drive around 60-70 mph, I can easily get to the official Skoda figures of 6.6 litres/100km (43 mpg). It would be a pleasant drive, but not much fun :D With a bit of driving fun, I would end up at 7.5 l / 100 km (37 mpg) - this average includes speeds up to 80 mph. Of course, in the city the consumption rises a lot...I do only short commute every day (5 miles one way) and the consumption is around 30 mpg (which is understandable for such short distance).

Hill hold - I use it every day and it works very well.

I haven't driven 1.4 tsi, but I considered this engine too. Finally I chose 1.8. I would expect to see fuel consumption of 1.4 tsi dsg only a tiny bit lower than 1.8 tsi dsg.

I can only report on the 1.8 tsi dsg after ca. 1100 miles on the clock. If I take the care out of town and drive around 60-70 mph, I can easily get to the official Skoda figures of 6.6 litres/100km (43 mpg). It would be a pleasant drive, but not much fun :D With a bit of driving fun, I would end up at 7.5 l / 100 km (37 mpg) - this average includes speeds up to 80 mph. Of course, in the city the consumption rises a lot...I do only short commute every day (5 miles one way) and the consumption is around 30 mpg (which is understandable for such short distance).

Hill hold - I use it every day and it works very well.

For some strange reason Skoda UK importers decided not to offer us the 1.8 TSi DSG on the Elegance trim, in fact it is only available on the L & K. However, after trying the 1.4 TSI DSG in the Golf , I was more than happy to go for that unit - it was amazing considering its smallish 1.4 displacement, a superb unit.

Had the 1.8 TSi DSG Elegance been available in the UK, I probably would have gone for it without even considering the 1.4 TSi. - which just goes to show.

For some strange reason Skoda UK importers decided not to offer us the 1.8 TSi DSG on the Elegance trim, in fact it is only available on the L & K. However, after trying the 1.4 TSI DSG in the Golf , I was more than happy to go for that unit - it was amazing considering its smallish 1.4 displacement, a superb unit.

Had the 1.8 TSi DSG Elegance been available in the UK, I probably would have gone for it without even considering the 1.4 TSi. - which just goes to show.

I'm in a similar position. I find Skoda's decision to limit the 1.8 DSG to L&K incomprehensible. And if you want a modern, refined engine, the retention of the ageing PD diesel units further limit the choice. So if you want DSG, the 1.4 TSI becomes the default option. Fortunately it's excellent, and very good value too!

As i do a long commute several times a week and do a lot of motorway miles, I am waiting to hear if the 2 litre 140 diesel willl be replaced soon with common rail before making a final decision. However given the likely price differential over the 1.4 TSI of about £2.5k, I'd need some convincing. Come on Skoda! :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear guys all this talk of the 1.4tsi with the DSG box is making me waver. I was all set to go and order a new Octavia Elegance with the manual gearbox but now I wondering if I should go for the DSG. Apart from the addtional cost I've got reservations about the long term reliability (I tend to keep my car for 10 years +) and it seems quite a complicated box to me.

Oh dear guys all this talk of the 1.4tsi with the DSG box is making me waver. I was all set to go and order a new Octavia Elegance with the manual gearbox but now I wondering if I should go for the DSG. Apart from the addtional cost I've got reservations about the long term reliability (I tend to keep my car for 10 years +) and it seems quite a complicated box to me.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the DSG reliability. The 7 speed has been available on the Golf for a while now.

I would however check the likely build week and delivery time before you confirm an order as there are stories of existing orders being delayed by several months as demand for the 1.4TSI is much higher than anticipated

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the DSG reliability. The 7 speed has been available on the Golf for a while now.

I would however check the likely build week and delivery time before you confirm an order as there are stories of existing orders being delayed by several months as demand for the 1.4TSI is much higher than anticipated

Dealer kindly delivered mine yesterday and parked it on my driveway. I then drove it at least 50ft into my garage. Unable to drive it as I'm still awaiting for the DVLA to send the VED license !!

So plenty of time for some detailed detailing.

How's that for frustration and annoyance - GRRRRH. :rant:

Can report 7 speed DSG (or at least 1 of 7) very smooth over 50ft , excellent mpg and so far squeak and rattle free :D

I ordered my Octaviia 1.4tsi Elegance (manual 6 speed) box this morning and was told delivery would be 8-16 weeks. I'm not in any particular hurry and the dealer wrote down September on the order form which is fine by me.

Forgive me if I bore you with this essay.....

I usually keep my cars for 10-12 years handing them down to kids and end up doing my own servicing after the warranty expires.

After the demise of the dreadful Corsa D 1.3Ctdi :orb_mad: I really wanted a 1.4TSi DSG Octavia and after 6 weeks of pontificating, research and looking at countless new Octavias none of which was quite the right model or trim,I finally made up my mind!

In the end I ditched the idea of DSG because:

There are just too many horror stories floating around about Mechatronic failures on all DSGs. At £1000 - £1500+ just for the part its not even a DIY repair option. And having looked at photos of mechatronic guts, it brought back memories of solenoid operated hydraulics I once was involved in developing - the slightest bit of dirt/contamination and it just stops working right......According to one poster who works in a service department they change 3 -4 mechatronic units a month.

There is a regular servicing requirement on all DSG boxes including the 7 speed box (unlike the salesman claimed) - apparently every 40,000 miles/4years an oil and filter change is required. This makes sense as the failure prone Mechatronic unit runs on hydraulic oil (and there is an oil pump of some description on the box which has to run to work the box, possibly engine driven, possibly electric). "Around £200.....", my local Skoda service manager quips.

Then there is the clutch pack....having looked at 7 speed DSG drawings its obvious the dry clutch pack is designed to be changed relatively easily - which is an improvement on the old 6 speed wet box. But the horror stories continue. "Clutch life around 60,000 miles"......££££ to change the clutch pack.

And what happens when the primary dry clutch develops some judder? The software is supposed to adapt.....how????? Kangaroo, lurching and mysterious gear changing seem to be synonmous with "DSG failure"

Then there is the insurmountable problem of is he going to change up or down? Apparentley, if you do something against the DSG plan of action, its throw a bit of a wobbly time.

Hill hold, necessary evil but do I want electronic complication? ESP as standard....I bet theres a good reason for that, why give it away for nothing when the manual version costs?

Finally I had a long hard think about how I drive (an Alhambra with incredibly laid back 1.9tdi engine)

:orb_duh:......thinks...... things I often do

COAST, especially at slow speed in car parks and in traffic queues. I bet you cant do that with a DSG. BLOCK CHANGE up and down.... DSG?..... forget it.

No, the risk of not getting to 10 years without a OH NO!....HOW MUCH???? moment is far too great.

and......look at the VCA website and check out the REAL CERTIFIED CO2 figures for the 1.4Tsi Octavia manual and DSG models. (148 and 147g/km) not the Skoda brochure figures.....

So I walk into the Skoda dealer, the one that last week said "at least £1000 off" for an Octavia, armed with Drivethedeal.com prices and knowledge of the "extended scrappage allowance (around £2600 with an enhanced Skoda contribution) - after all Skoda cares more about sales than scrap dont they?

One Metallic Skoda Octavia 1.4Tsi Elegance Manual gearbox with a full list of options please....and make it snappy.

What? They've done away with the spare wheel? How much is a full size alloy spare? £120.......Ok go on

What? 1.4Tsi now on 15 -20 week lead times....WHAT?...........Ok

Best price.....(much rustling of paper and visits to the manager) WHAT??????????

£500 off list....but last week you said £1000+ and drivethedeal is £1800 off.....

Sorry no can do....but we will price protect it for you........and the 3 year free servicing may not apply if its not delivered on time......i.e. after end of June. (whats that about?)

AT THIS POINT I STOP TRYING TO FLOG A DEAD HORSE AND POLITELY SAY,

Sorry, we wasted each others time, its obvious there no way we can do business and leave....very annoyed.

Very annoyed because my insurance (2nd car) is suspended until I get a new car and is bonus protected until it expires in about 12 weeks time. And I am at the limit for claims and have 2 kids on the policy. If it expires, bang goes my protected no claims (70%) I bet.

Do all dealers suck?

Edited by skodakid

Hi Skodakid,

I'm sorry you didn't manage to get a good deal on an Octavia. I don't change my cars very often either possibly partly because buying a car is sometimes like a game of poker and you're never really sure what hand the dealers got and what he'll play, with the consequence that you're never sure whether you've got the best deal you could have.

I too decided against the DSG box. Having done some research on the net I think that it's probably a wonderful device and no doubt it's reasonably reliable and I'm sure I'd have loved it. However when it does go wrong it's likely to cost a lot to repair or replace and due to their complexity I think it is more likely to go wrong than a manual.

If it's not against the rules to post a link to another VW Forum there's a thread regarding it here : VWAUDI Forum

(administrators, apologies if posting the above link is not acceptable, please feel free to delete it if there is an issue)

A good rant from Skodakid about why not to have a DSG. I have a DSG but wouldn't have one without a warranty.

What's the reliability like on the new 1.4TSi engine? Of course no one knows because it's brand new.

If you want carefree motoring for 10 years avoid DSG and avoid a turbo.