Another oil leak thread (piccies included)

Had this annoying oil leak for a while. Have cleaned up the bottom of the engine and gearbox a bit and found what seems to be the main leak. I think this is the gearbox cover.

Do I just need to tighten the bolt up - or is there likely to be something inside that needs sorting? Also would this be engine oil or gear oil? (I've tried smelling it but I'm not sure).

Thanks in advance.

28239.attach

28240.attach

Edited by anewman

Not sure where that oil is coming from but why not take that cover off and have a look ?

All thats behind it is the flywheel and clutch.I've taken it off Kermit to reduce weight.

why not take that cover off and have a look ?

Just to make 100% sure.... I won't be emptying the sump or the gearbox oil in doing so will I? Is there any particular locations to examine in there?

No you won't empty the sump or the gearbox.

You'll be able to see if there is any oil on the inside which there should not be.If there is then you have a seal gone.Have you ever over filled the engine with oil?

I filled the oil to the max mark on the dipstick a few months ago then only thought after that the road surface wasn't level (front end lower) but thought it might not make any odds. Are you thinking overfilled oil would have blown a seal? I'm using 10w-40 which is probably a bit thin for this engine anyway, especially given it's at around 140k miles on the clock.

Sounds like some oil may have got through the crank seal then.

I should drain off any excess oil, if it hasn't already dripped out some where.Then take that cover off, clean everywhere, put it all back and recheck in a couple of hundred miles time.I should think it'll be OK

Tried to remove the cover but couldn't get at the bolt up behind the driveshaft easily. What I could see looked relatively clean inside anyway. The flywheel isn't coated in oil, and there wasn't a puddle of oil waiting to come out. Would suggest to me the leak only occurs while the engine is in motion, and is only slight

Noticed many of the sump bolts could easily be tightened by hand with just a spinner handle, and that I also have a leak at the selector shaft oil seal.

Edit: just found that bolt behind the driveshaft is rather easily accessible from the top side with a spanner.

Edited by anewman

I was going to say that shows the bottom of the flywheel - mine was off on my Favorit for quite a while - I didn't know for ages as the garage had forgotten to put it on again! It wasn't ever a problem. I would have thought the oil is coming from somewhere above that - maybe from around the sump by the looks of the leak.