1.2 Sport Young Driver Insurance

I recently bought myself a Fabia 1.2l sport and had to pay the grand sum of 80p + admin fee to upgrade from my old 1.1l 106 for the last 3 months of my policy. Sounds daft as even though they are the same bracket one was worth 5x more than the other. Anyway I'm not complaining but I'm due again soon and want to get some quotes sorted early so that I'm not rushing around later on.

Currently I'm expecting a renewal of around £650, I'm 20, been driving 3 years with 1 years no claims (regretting 2 years as a named driver). Anyway there are a lot of posts for VRS's but I was wondering what a respectable quote would be for my 1.2 petrol. I live in a nice part of Northampton so shouldn't pay much of a premium in that sense (although I pay more than I did at my old address where I parked on the road instead and wasn't as safe an area...explain that)

Direct line generally give me a better quote online then they also reduce my policy for being a named driver with them but I still make sure I get them down even more (saved about £280 on my policy last year by haggling + moaning at them)

When you've only just got the car, insurance is more expensive than it would be if you had owned it a good few years. Strange but true.

I like haggling with insurance companies. Here's how I do it.

1. Go to one of the comparison sites and get the best quote you can.

Then...

2. Wait a day or so, and companies will call you trying to offer a better quote than the system generated quote. Listen to these people as it's them that are paying the phone bill. Get a name and a quote reference and say you will call them back.

Then

3. go to your current insurers website and get a quote as if you are a new policyholder. Due to the bung they often give new policyholders, it may work out cheaper than your renewal.

finally...

4. Phone the renewals number for your current insurer. Advise them that you have been shopping around and you would like them to offer you the best possible price to stay a customer. If the price offered is better than that in steps 1-3 then accept. If it's close, inform them of your best price and ask if they will match. If it's miles off, inform them that you will consider taking your business elsewhere and than them for their time. They may then phone you back and make a better offer.

You should also consider the extras on your policy. Does your insurer bundle in "free" breakdown or legal cover? Is this really needed if you are in the AA for example. Consider removing that. Also, your bank, breakdown service, employer or trade union may offer legal help if you need it - check if you are covered and save a bit more money.

Hope that is a help.

• 1 month later...

Direct line quoted me £680 but I got them quite easily down to £630 when I was on the phone canceling the auto renew but then it turned out they cocked up my details for another year (this is the 3rd time now) and they put my quote up and after haggling I was back at £680, I wasn't too happy with them and didn't really want to stay with them and their only competition was morethan in the end who quoted me roughly the same but when I put my excess to £650 it knocked it down to a reasonable £645. I'm just hoping I don't crash now! Looking at a lot of companies they all seem to have a minimum excess of £400 for young drivers so next year when I'm 21 I guess things will be a lot more reasonable. Thanks for the advice