Autoboot pikey mod

Gizmo

I did this mod on a MK5 Golf, but there should be no reason why it would not work on other hatchbacks that has the 'boot pop' on the remote - Fabia's and Octavia's.

After seeing this thread on ukmkiv's I thought I would do a ‘walk through’ for others that are interested in this feature.

What is Autoboot? Look here

Although the following works perfectly on my MK5 Golf I take no responsibility for anything going wrong when you do the mod – I checked and double checked everything before final fitting.

Tools needed:

Vice

Mole grips

Small screwdriver

Heat gun

Sharp knife

Tape measure

Dremel / angle grinder / hacksaw

Access to VCDS (if boot pop is not enabled already)

Parts needed:

2 x M10x25mm washers

2 x M8 x 25mm washers

2 lengths (50mm long) of 25.4mm heat shrink (shrink wrap)

1 x Ford transit 2.4 TDI valve spring (exhaust or inlet – they are the same) Part No. 1372479 = £3.17:

dsc00131pkb.jpg

This spring needs to be cut in half, a Dremel is ideal for this:

dsc00135bzt.jpg

1. First if not already done you need to activate the ‘tailgate pop’ with VCDS – this will mean that when you press the centre button on the remote the tailgate will now pop open off its catch. This should be under 46 - Central Convenience

2. Remove the tailgate struts from the car – To remove the struts, use a screw driver to lift the metal clip and then pull the strut away from the ball stud (when even one strut is removed the tailgate will be too heavy for just the one strut to hold up, so either prop the tailgate open or get someone to hold it up):

replacecarbootgasstrut0.jpg

3. Wrap a cloth around the strut shaft and place the shaft into a vice, unscrew the end joint (anti-clockwise). You may need a pair of mole grips to lightly grip the end to unscrew it.

4. Place the M10x25mm washer onto the strut, note the washer needs to fit over the lip of the seal shown:

dsc00146yav.jpg

dsc00147qhz.jpg

5. Put one half of the cut down spring onto the strut, then put the M8x25 washer onto the strut, so you have this:

dsc00137r.jpg

6. Push the washers and spring down to the strut body (make sure the seal is in the hole of the washer, slide the shrink wrap over the spring & washers:

dsc00149pmt.jpg

Heat the shrink wrap until it has shrunk, then cut off the excess around the shaft:

dsc00151r.jpg

7. Replace the end onto the shaft, refit the strut to the car, then do the same for the other side.

Strut refitted to the car:

dsc00155ewr.jpg

Tailgate almost closed:

dsc00156ila.jpg

It is worth doing a test before you put the shrink wrap on that the spring is not fully compressed before you finally close the tailgate, as if it is then something will have to give – break!

I started a thread to discuss if this was possible a little while back.. springs were of course suggested but it was thought the power of spring required to lift far enough for the gas struts to take over would be to powerful, your post however shows otherwise! :D

I seriously think I'm gunna give this ago, mainly because I don't wash my car enough and the pop open feature as it is now doesn't easily avoid you touching the boot.. still gotta lift it.

My only real concern about this mod is any additional stress it's placing on the boot latch, and if, over time the latch will start to fail, or even jam?