Towing caravan

Hi all

Does anybody out there tow a caravan with a 2.0 tdi octavia 4X4? I'm thinking about getting a van but am concerned that it might cause early failure of the dreaded DMF. Any thoughts or experiences on this matter would be gratefully received.

Pud.

I'm on my second Skoda with DPF. The first covered 30000 miles (5000 towing just under 1200Kg), the second so far has covered just short of 4000 miles ( just under 1000 towing). Have had no issues whatsoever with the DPF.

Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning!

I have been towing for the last year with my Scout TDi and I have had no problems. The car weighs in at 1650kg (checked on a weighbridge) and the caravan weight is around 1200kg. The Scout manages this effortlessly. It is certainly a more stable tow than with my last car, a VW Touran with the same engine and similar kerbweight.

This is the first 4x4 car I have owned and I would be reluctant to go back to 2 wheel drive. It just feels very planted and secure all the time. If I was buying now I would go for the 'basic' 4x4 with the 1.6 CR engine (105PS) which will replace the 1.9 PD fairly soon (hopefully!) This would still tow my relatively light van well I think and would have much lower running costs than the Scout. I now get around 42 mpg solo and 30 mpg towing. The Scout has a relatively high CO2 emission figure of 173 g/km - the CR 1.6 should be less than 130 g/km in 4x4 guise.