Thinking of Buying a VRS

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to decide what car to buy. I'm really a massive Ford fan, so my main choices are either a Mk1 Focus RS or a Mk2 Focus ST.

Even so, I really quite like the look of the Octavia VRS... and if I get the diesel, I can get bluefin (or similar) for 200bhp and it will return nearly twice the MPG of the Fords...

I know all you guys will be a little biased, but how do you find the Octavia VRS TDI to live with?

Any tips for someone maybe looking to buy one?

Thanks,

Andrew

hey mate welcome.

having owned a rs mk1 focus i wouldnt recommend it tbh. the steering is scary on a bumpy road and torque steer is dire.

have a good mate with an st and i like it a lot , dont like the fuel consumption , thats regularly 15 mpg on the computer, goes well tho and love the seats

where are you , maybe somebody can take you out.

Best all rounder Ive ever had. Ive got the diesel and its fast, can sit 4-5 people incomfort, good mpg, great load lugger with a huge boot and good looking. The dealership I got mine from have been fantastic. I used to only buy VW's but got fed up with the service I got from the dealers. If Ive got one fault with it its that someone broke into my place trying to steal it! But that says something doesnt it?

Hopefully I will have a 58 Plate CR Diesel VRS at some point this month, I drove the petrol and diesel and was very impressed with the diesel.

When I took the petrol out when it was a little damp and having come from a Legacy B4 there was a bit of wheelspin to say the least lol

The only problem was I had some trouble finding a car with more than poverty spec that I liked.

I should be coming home in an ex Skoda Management car with 5k on it in race blue

Columbus

Maxidot

Xenons

Ipod

VRS Pack (Jumbo Box, Rear Electric Windows etc.)

I think it has the auto lights and wipers but will have to check.

Great value car, great engines in petrol and diesel and good fun!

I used to service and sell performance cars, mainly Imprezas, Evos, but also other random stuff such as Golf GTI and the faster Fords and Vx's. Never had much to do with Skoda until I bought a new vRS TFSI last year as my personal car (left the trade now).

Its not so much as case as whether one is 'better' than the other - they are different.

I wouldn't recommend a Mk1 RS, I think that car was a 'work in progress; for Ford. The Mk 2 ST is a much better car. We sold and serviced a few and TBH they weren't the most trouble-free of motors, in fact we had a few that failed in a big way. A lot of used ST's have been used and abused, so buyer beware.

The vRS is a better package for the family man. More room, rather more comfortable, and a lot better on the fuel economy. Even the petrol TFSI will easily break the 30mpg barrier on a run, whereas the ST will struggle to get past 25mpg IME. For me its a non-brainer, the vRS suits my needs much better than an ST (and I've driven loads of ST's).

Personally, unless you do very high miles, I would go for the TFSI (petrol) vRS. Get it remapped by REVO and you'll have somewhere in the region of 230bhp (IIRC?). The TFSI is a cracking motor and its wide and flat torque curve makes it a doddle to drive quickly in normal daily driving.

Thanks everyone. Helpful comments!

The guy in the dealership mentioned REVO, although I've not heard of them... was going to get Bluefin or Dreamscience if I got a Ford, I presume Revo are a similar thing?

At the moment, I'm 21 and whatever I get is going to be my first big-power car. I've not got a family, and I'm not too bothered about seats - though getting a couple of mates in the back is a bonus...

If I was to go petrol, I'd probably get a Focus... I'm really only considering an Octavia cos with the diesel, I can have the power but keep the fuel & tax to a reasonable level! That, and the dealer's seem REALLY good, especially when compared with the pushy idiots at Ford...

Hopefully I will have a 58 Plate CR Diesel VRS at some point this month. The only problem was I had some trouble finding a car with more than poverty spec that I liked.

I should be coming home in an ex Skoda Management car with 5k on it in race blue

Columbus

Maxidot

Xenons

Ipod

VRS Pack (Jumbo Box, Rear Electric Windows etc.)

I think it has the auto lights and wipers but will have to check.

Hi,

Is this from an authorised Skoda dealer? I've been looking for a similar spec., low mileage car and there's not been much around recently on Skoda's used car site.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? If you don't want to make it public, you could pm me at Briskoda.:thumbup:

Cheers,

Bill.

Thing is though, taking fuel/tax into the equation, I can afford a brand new Skoda Octavia VRS TDI.

If I was to get a Focus ST, I'd be looking at a 3 year old one, which means I'd get the old bumpers (facelift ST is MUCH nicer), no warranty and I'd have to pay for MOT's...

focus ST is a fantastic car, but although the vRS is a few horses less powerful it is the better package, and with bluefin i kept up the *** of a nurburgring edition VXR at the ring so revo would probably destroy it.

plus the interior is way more classy, and people dopnt automatically think boy racer

Thing is though, taking fuel/tax into the equation, I can afford a brand new Skoda Octavia VRS TDI.

If I was to get a Focus ST, I'd be looking at a 3 year old one, which means I'd get the old bumpers (facelift ST is MUCH nicer), no warranty and I'd have to pay for MOT's...

I'm amazed that you are saying that a 3 YO ST would cost the same as a new vRS. I left the trade about a year ago so I'm getting out of touch with prices, but certainly middle of last year there were a lot of 0-1 year old ST's gathering dust at dealers and I know for a fact that main dealers were knocking out pre-regs on '08 plates for £14k.

If you're only 21 then you might want to check out insurance, could be a expensive on these cars, especially if you go for a remap.

I'm amazed that you are saying that a 3 YO ST would cost the same as a new vRS. I left the trade about a year ago so I'm getting out of touch with prices, but certainly middle of last year there were a lot of 0-1 year old ST's gathering dust at dealers and I know for a fact that main dealers were knocking out pre-regs on '08 plates for £14k.

a quick glance at auto trader sows a 58 late with 11k for £16,000 asking, and a couple of 2006's for £9,000 (both with 30k miles on them) A mate is looking at thse at the moment and has test driven a 2007 with 14k on the clock at an asking of £11,000 which he has got down to £10,000 - this one is private not trade sale but it poroves that there are deals to be done

Unless the OP can get a brand new VRS for £9,000 then i think he just hasnt done his figures right ;)

Thanks,

Looked into insurance, it's an affordable £900 for an Focus ST or a Octavia vRS. I'm now also considering (rather randomly) a Honda Integra Type-R DC5, but insurance on those is a little more. Nothing like the cost of insurance on Evo's though, that's rediculous!

Honestly not sure what I want. The reason I like the Skoda, like you say, is it's grown up image, warranty and it would be nice to be the first owner.

I saw lots of pre reg ST's last year too. When the facelift one came out, Archers of Ashby were selling off their stock with the old bumpers for £13-£14k, but since the credit crunch has kicked in, no dealers seem to have any stock of ST's, new or used.

Both my closest Ford dealers have none in new or used, not even a demonstrator... used 08 platers within the dealer network are advertised for £17-£18k!!!

The Focus ST was going out of favour in a big way when I left the trade last year. Basically it was a car that you just couldn't sell (along with Impreza, Evo, Mazda MPS 3 etc) - too thirsty, too much road tax and running costs just too high. I don't think many dealers with a brain would want to touch a Focus ST. The situation has changed a bit now, particularly with fuel prices falling back, but thirsty cars with high road tax are still rather unloved and I suspect that if fuel prices shoot up again (which they surely will when we come out of recession) then these cars will take a pounding in Glass's/CAP.

When I wanted a car last year I had a choice of Impreza, Evo, ST, Mazda3 etc etc., went for the vRS because of sensible fuel economy, realtively good reliability and relatively cheap running and repair costs, and of course roomiest of the bunch for the kids etc. I have worked on enough Japanese cars to know that parts prices can make you weep (even with trade discount!), whereas the Octavia runs on a relatively cheap VAG platform.

I still think I made the right decision - the car itself is great and the BWA petrol engine is just a fantastic unit. Major downside is v. v. poor customer service from both dealers and Skoda UK CS - who are hopeless.