Rear wiper - motor gone

After a week of sounding arthritic, my rear wiper has finally given up the ghost.

From the sounds it was making, I'm fairly confident it's the motor that's gone.

Anyone know if it's a big job to replace it, links to guides, part numbers etc...

Thanks,

Jim.

Put it this way, the hardest part is getting the bootlid cover back on, I think the rest is self explanatory once you take the cover off. I have never had to change the motor but have seen whats under the cover a few times.

After a week of sounding arthritic, my rear wiper has finally given up the ghost.

From the sounds it was making, I'm fairly confident it's the motor that's gone.

Anyone know if it's a big job to replace it, links to guides, part numbers etc...

Thanks,

Jim.

Don't know of any guides but I found it a piece of cake and I just went in blind to do it.

The worst bit is getting the boot trim off. I found I was pulling on it like mad thinking "its going to break.... BANG :eek: " but that was just the clips releasing :P

Once you are in its 3 nuts then from the outside lift the cover at the bottom of the wiper spindle up (it flaps up on a hinge) and undo the retaining nut. Pull off the washer tube and wiper and the jobs a goodun. I think Haynes says you need a wiper puller? I just flapped the blade up (as if you were washing the car) and it came straight off.

PS... have a look whilst its off, this was enough to change my plans from replacing it to removing it for good. It looks so much cleaner without.

EDIT- oh yeah, getting the cover back on... that bit is fun :(

Cheers guys. Looking forwards to lots of fun with the trim.

Just had a search (which I should probably have done before posting) and I'm hoping I can get away with just cleaning and lubing the motor, rather than replacing it.

EDIT- oh yeah, getting the cover back on... that bit is fun :(

Any hints? :D

Any hints? :D

Get in the boot and hang your'e legs out the back and pull the lid down on you and do it that way. Otherwise you'll be dizzy and have aching arms in seconds.

Oh yeah.....Don't forget too slip the grab strap through the hole first :D

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing this over the weekend.

All I can say is, which genius decided it was a good idea to run the washer hose through the wiper gear assembly with a couple of joints???!?

Whipped the motor out and took the cover off and URGH!! No wonder it had stopped working!! It was well and truely clogged up with a mixture of rust and gunge. I can only assume this was from 4 years of leakage from the washer hose.

Half an hour with some WD40, rags and a toothbrush and it was back to full working order. Re-greased it, put it all back together and Roberts your mothers brother. Always nice to do a job that doesn't involve forking out for parts though :D

The boot trim is still sat in the garage though. After half an hour of banging and swearing, I decided to save that job for later ;)

Thanks for all the advice folks :thumbup: