You wont believe this ! Government caught costing drivers money (again)

This makes an unbelievable read. The Department of transport has until recently encouraged phasing traffic lights to cause congestion as it resulted in more fuel being used & more tax paid to the treasury. Almost unbelievable. The last few lines refer to their new guidelines regarding fuel taxation, so what else have they forced on us in the interests of raising tax , does that explain the massive growth in traffic calming chicanes, sleeping policemen etc. So much for a greener Government !!

BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers catch green lights 'wave'

There was certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence that traffic light timings were played with in London before and after the congestion charge was introduced so that the roads seemed to flow better as a result.

Whether it's true or not is hard to say but I wouldn't be surprised.

This makes an unbelievable read. The Department of transport has until recently encouraged phasing traffic lights to cause congestion as it resulted in more fuel being used & more tax paid to the treasury. Almost unbelievable. The last few lines refer to their new guidelines regarding fuel taxation, so what else have they forced on us in the interests of raising tax , does that explain the massive growth in traffic calming chicanes, sleeping policemen etc. So much for a greener Government !!

BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers catch green lights 'wave'

Hi Stuart_J;,

I am living in the town of Swindon now, and there is a hill here with bus stop, and opposite in centre of the road is two white bollards and small island for the pedestrian.

This is going upwards on the hill.

Any one here that is knowing of the town will be thinking of the Kingshill Road, which is what I mean here.

When the bus stops here next to bus shelter then all traffic is behind this one is stopped, as nothing is getting past.

Thank you

Regards for you

Soviet :rolleyes::thumbup:

Hi Stuart_J;,

I am living in the town of Swindon now, and there is a hill here with bus stop, and opposite in centre of the road is two white bollards and small island for the pedestrian.

This is going upwards on the hill.

Any one here that is knowing of the town will be thinking of the Kingshill Road, which is what I mean here.

When the bus stops here next to bus shelter then all traffic is behind this one is stopped, as nothing is getting past.

Thank you

Regards for you

Soviet :rolleyes::thumbup:

This is not uncommon, I had been told that it was deliberate not just to help bus passengers cross to get to/from the stop but also the unsaid promotion of public transport (the bus is always in front)

How much truth to this......