Parking Sensor Woes

Hi All,

My rear parking sensors packed up the other day, now get a long audible tone on selecting reverse and no tone to distance sound whilst reversing :(

Is this likely to be 1 or more sensors packing up, (if so how can you test them and how much are they to replace) or is it going to be the control unit, (again are there tests I can carry out to check this - any ideas on replacement costs)?

Is this something that can be sorted by diy's or is it a dealer only job?

Any info on this topic would be gratefully received :cool:

Thanks

Pete

I had the same thing with mine a couple of months ago, I got hold of a brand new sensor and started at the passenger side and replaced it with the new one. made no difference so the one I took of I presumed was OK so changed that with next one across rather than keep moving the new one. It turned out to be the third one I changed as the long beep went and "touch wood" there still working fine.

I was also able to replace them without removing the bumper as there is just enough room to get to them from underneath although I did need a bit of light from a maglite so I could see how to unclip them.

The drivers side sensor is behind a plastic trim which will need removing first but it's only a couple of torx screws and a few 6mm nuts so shouldnt be a problem, fortunately I didnt have to remove that. took about 10mins from start to finish to get them working again. cheaper and quicker than the stealers!!!!

Thanks for the response - most informative, reading other posts on the forum reveal that they are suspect to water ingress.

On Sunday I drove thro some very large puddles covering upto half the road - on reversing into my parking spot I then noticed they had failed!

However, this evening they started to work again - must have dried out :D

Hope they stay behaving themselves

Pete