Australian Advice Needed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, newbie to Briskoda here! :thumbup:

Skoda sales in Oz for June went up to around 130. Included in those figures is my dad's nice new MY09 RS liftback TSI DSG which he picked up this week. Really looking forward to seeing it and going for a drive. Will be interesting to see how it compares with my wife's MKV GTI.

Well the news in WA is getting better, as there is a new dealer opening up, supposedly in Melville (though have not found it yet, looked on Leach Hwy but maybe it is on Canning Hwy).

I looked at the Mazda6 diesel but the lack of choice in transmissions and options turned me off. Also some of the ergonomics in the Mazda6 I didn't like- the "Sinclair watch" LED display for the trip computer which I could not read at all, and the handbrake being a short taxi rid across the other side of the console from the driver. Would be OK in an auto but the wagon was only available in a manual.

Anyway, my SO can't drive a manual, so auto was important. Started with an aim for a diesel vRS but have ended up with diesel (2L! not the 1.9) Elegance with Xenons and sunroof for $27K, 5000 km on the clock, delivered from Sydney. Another couple of thousand to get it licensed on the road here! It shoudl arrive in a week's time.

Will add a Bluefin I think in a month or so.

One problem you will hit is that all of the stock you can see on carsales web site is pretty much 08 stock, and seems to be on offer for 09 model prices.

And if you think depreciation is bad on a Skoda, try a Renault (lucky I got it for a steal in the 1st place). $50K to $14K in 4 years.

I am picking up my first Skoda tomorrow in Sydney (2007 Ambiente TDI). Last is stock so they gave me a great deal (30% off original price of $30K).

I asked the usual questions about service and prospects. The dealer said that the terms of entry into OZ included the commitment that parts and service will be available for at least 15 years if SKoda pulls out of Oz again. He added that obviously VW is not going anywhere even if Skoda bails out and since Skoda is fully owned by VW, there should not be any concern about ongoing service and so forth.

Who buys a Skoda? I asked. " Educated Europeans who have done their research on cars."

I test drove a Mazda 6 before buying another Skoda and on cut up Irish roads it was very harsh (Octavias with 16" wheels are noticeably harsher than 15" too - 15" wheeled Octys seem to float over the road without transferring any of the bumps to the passengers at all). One feature the 6 has I really like is the way the rear seats fold though. There are releases for the seats in the usual place on top of the back seats and also in the boot. Pull the boot or seat levers and the back of the seat springs forward while the seat cushion moves downwards out of the way leaving a completely flat boot floor. I was talking to a taxi driver a while ago who had a Mazda 6 petrol with heading for 200,000 miles on it and it still felt perfect. Before I mentioned I was a Skoda fan at all he said the best car he ever had for use as a taxi was an Octavia, but he had to get rid of it eventually due to problems with the dual mass flywheel and gearbox.

• 4 weeks later...

The Skoda Superb has finally been released here in Australia and general sales seem to be on the up. General awareness is getting better all the time. The Superb is appearing on TV advertising quite a bit.

Zupps was bought out by a large WA company a few years ago. Apparently several people followed the Skoda brand to Brisbane Prestige from Zupps and said they couldnt work out why Zupps dropped the brand?

I have ordered a new FL MY2010 vRS Wagon in manual/petrol. I was after a wagon/estate as it needs to be family car, have enough torque to tow my go-kart and something I can have a bit of fun in when I feel the right foot urge. My options came down to;

Subaru Liberty (Legacy) which is about to be replaced and still a bit on the expensive side with the features I wanted. New shape is ugly. Subaru have lost the plot.

Mazda 6 turbo diesel wagon: nice car, but it was still a "Mazda". didnt have any real appeal to me. Also, only marginally cheaper then the Skoda as I was looking at the Turbo Diesel Wagon.

Commodore Sportswagon: would never own another c'dore again. I grew up with my family always owning c'dores and they are vanilla at its best. you get what you pay for and these things arent cheap on the juice. Also, Commodore's are dime a dozen.

here. They dont hold their value at all.

VW Passat: Nice, but too expensive.

Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi and Nissan are not making wagons anymore. Instead they are shifting to SUV's which I am dead set against.

So, I ended up with the Skoda. I drove them when I lived in the UK and loved them. Has a big boot, my wife loves it and is quite unique. I know they are a brilliant car (basically a Golf GTI that is more practical and cheaper) and am taking a punt on the resale value. Essentially I have budgeted to sell the car in 3 years for half the value I am buying it for which I think is possible. I cant wait to get it!

I have ordered a new FL MY2010 vRS Wagon in manual/petrol. I was after a wagon/estate as it needs to be family car, have enough torque to tow my go-kart and something I can have a bit of fun in when I feel the right foot urge. My options came down to;

Subaru Liberty (Legacy) which is about to be replaced and still a bit on the expensive side with the features I wanted. New shape is ugly. Subaru have lost the plot.

Mazda 6 turbo diesel wagon: nice car, but it was still a "Mazda". didnt have any real appeal to me. Also, only marginally cheaper then the Skoda as I was looking at the Turbo Diesel Wagon.

Commodore Sportswagon: would never own another c'dore again. I grew up with my family always owning c'dores and they are vanilla at its best. you get what you pay for and these things arent cheap on the juice. Also, Commodore's are dime a dozen.

here. They dont hold their value at all.

VW Passat: Nice, but too expensive.

Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi and Nissan are not making wagons anymore. Instead they are shifting to SUV's which I am dead set against.

So, I ended up with the Skoda. I drove them when I lived in the UK and loved them. Has a big boot, my wife loves it and is quite unique. I know they are a brilliant car (basically a Golf GTI that is more practical and cheaper) and am taking a punt on the resale value. Essentially I have budgeted to sell the car in 3 years for half the value I am buying it for which I think is possible. I cant wait to get it!

TuNeS - I did exactly the same sort of research with the cars you talked about and I opted for the 2010 Vrs TDI wagon with DSG ( Family wagon with good economy and good for towing the dirt bike trailer etc ). Got a phone call today that the shipment our vRS is on has just hit the Aussie shores today, so we should expect delivery in the next 10-14 days - Almost 3 weeks earlier then first quoted.

Oh w'ere getting the Bright Metallic Silver colour too

TuNeS - I did exactly the same sort of research with the cars you talked about and I opted for the 2010 Vrs TDI wagon with DSG ( Family wagon with good economy and good for towing the dirt bike trailer etc ). Got a phone call today that the shipment our vRS is on has just hit the Aussie shores today, so we should expect delivery in the next 10-14 days - Almost 3 weeks earlier then first quoted.

Oh w'ere getting the Bright Metallic Silver colour too

Wow, that's a lot earlier than I expected! When the dealer told me early September, I instantly thought October with the normal delays and my skeptical mind when dealing with car sales people :) Looks like they are true to their word. Now I am excited!

My wife pushed me for the DSG, but I want to get another stint with a manual before giving in to her for our next car. I just really enjoy 'driving' and like the involvment in a manual. But I think I will be ready for the DSG next time around. My dad is about to order a silver DSG diesel as well. Silver will look great! Be sure to let us know when you get it and post some pictures.

Also, do you know if they come standard with a sunroof? I didnt order one, but I heard a rumour from through one of the people who work at Brisbane Prestige Skoda that the Aussie versions come standard with them in the FL version? I have no idea how much truth is in that though. Would be a nice present though.

As others have mentioned, if residual values are a major factor then don't buy anything new, but especially not a new Skoda. They are simply not well known enough here in Oz so far. I'll be keeping mine for at least 6 years (longer if it stays as reliable as it has been so far), as I'm very happy with it.

There isn't much to compare with an Octy vRS wagon as an overall package, the Oz wagons (Commodore and Falcon) are a lot thirstier, and comparable euros all cost a lot more. The Japanese don't have much (the Mazda 6 wagon has nowhere near as much usable room in the back), and the Tiawanese and Koreans don't have the driving feel (yet).

Choice of car/engine also depends on personal preferences and what you will be doing with it (eg if you do interstellar miles with a bulky load driving on the highway then an 1.9TDI would be ideal, but if you do lots of short trips and enjoy a spirited fang along a twisty mountain road then Mazda MX5 would be better).

Maybe draw up a list of your requirements and wishes and see what Oz cars match up best (the interweb is a great information source for this sort of stuff).

My wife pushed me for the DSG, but I want to get another stint with a manual before giving in to her for our next car. I just really enjoy 'driving' and like the involvment in a manual. But I think I will be ready for the DSG next time around. My dad is about to order a silver DSG diesel as well. Silver will look great! Be sure to let us know when you get it and post some pictures.

Also, do you know if they come standard with a sunroof? I didnt order one, but I heard a rumour from through one of the people who work at Brisbane Prestige Skoda that the Aussie versions come standard with them in the FL version? I have no idea how much truth is in that though. Would be a nice present though.

What's the FL version?? I have no idea if they're coming with a sun roof or not, kind of ordered my car a little bit blindly, although I did make sure the dealer put all the details in the order so just in case it doesn;t rock up with certain parts fitted etc........... Was basically told the Aussie version is the same as what's in the euro brochure except we get 18" wheels and something else i can't remember, need to dig out the order and have another look

Yeah I'm getting excited about picking it up, just need to sell our other cars to make room in the garage. ha ha ha

What's the FL version?? I have no idea if they're coming with a sun roof or not, kind of ordered my car a little bit blindly, although I did make sure the dealer put all the details in the order so just in case it doesn;t rock up with certain parts fitted etc........... Was basically told the Aussie version is the same as what's in the euro brochure except we get 18" wheels and something else i can't remember, need to dig out the order and have another look

Yeah I'm getting excited about picking it up, just need to sell our other cars to make room in the garage. ha ha ha

FL = Face Lift. ie. the new front headlights, grill, bumper etc.

I would be interested to see what they put on your order to compare. I know it has the 18" wheels and the touch screen bolero radio, however I am not sure if it has features like maxidot (not important really) which people seem to discuss regularly on these forums. Either way, I still think what you get for the money is better than anything else.

I would be interested to see what they put on your order to compare. I know it has the 18" wheels and the touch screen bolero radio, however I am not sure if it has features like maxidot (not important really) which people seem to discuss regularly on these forums.

Hey Tunes, I see your post a few up. Congrats on your order, bet you're looking forward to it. My old man purchased a MY09 pre-facelift vRS, which definitely has the maxidot. Yours should have it too, even if it's the outside FL (dad's is already the inside FL).

We're probably going to go with a vRS hatch petrol DSG, but we'll need to do a specific order with AFS xenons, metallic (depending on colour we choose), alarm and MDI.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the Bolero audio. Does anyone know if the Australian spec vRS has the additional amplifier?

Edited by pinzvidz
spelling oops

Yeah his is a DSG, with the steering wheel controls of course. :thumbup:

bummer.. guess i will have to wait till I get it. How do you know if it has maxidot or not? Sorry for the stupid questions.

How do you know if it has maxidot or not?

I'm pretty sure the Maxidot is the equivalent of VW's full MFD, which dad's vRS definitely has. A lot of functionality, including convenience, audio and heaps of other stuff. I guess a non-maxidot would be the same as VW's half MFD, which is what my wife's MY07 GTI has.

So, if you have the nice little black display that shows when the doors open between the tacho and speedo then you have maxidot? if so, every vRS I have seen in oz has it? Can anybody confirm this?

So, if you have the nice little black display that shows when the doors open between the tacho and speedo then you have maxidot? if so, every vRS I have seen in oz has it? Can anybody confirm this?

AFAIK all Oz spec vRs' (mk 2 and 2.25 and 2.5/FL) have the fullscreen/highline/maxidot display (and 18" wheels and 'leccie rear windows and jumbo box armrest). There were a few early vRS' that came in with NZ spec which has a few less goodies.

When the Mk2 vRS was first launched in NZ I was told you get all options except sunroof included.

Presumably the same as Aus spec :)

Does your vRS have rear electric windows ? I seem to recall some bloke on an Oz forum saying he bought a s'hand demo vRS that was a NZ spec and it had manual rear windows (and was lacking some other stuff too that I can't recall).

In Oz (lo-beam only) Xenons were an extra cost option.

Does your vRS have rear electric windows ? I seem to recall some bloke on an Oz forum saying he bought a s'hand demo vRS that was a NZ spec and it had manual rear windows (and was lacking some other stuff too that I can't recall).

In Oz (lo-beam only) Xenons were an extra cost option.

The first ones definitely had dual climate, all electric windows, xenons, jumbo box, maxi dot.

I wonder if they cut down on the spec later on?

Wife went for a drive in dad's vRS yesterday, she was pretty impressed. She was even more impressed with the Bolero stereo and all the kit that comes standard (heated seats were a winner! :thumbup:).

So it looks like we'll be saying goodbye to our MKV GTI and hello to a lovely new vRS. Will definitely be a factory order with AFS xenons, MDI, alarm, maybe metallic and maybe roof. Only thing stopping me atm is deciding whether to hold off a couple more months and then place an order so we can get a build/compliance 2010 car.

Wife went for a drive in dad's vRS yesterday, she was pretty impressed. She was even more impressed with the Bolero stereo and all the kit that comes standard (heated seats were a winner! :thumbup:).

So it looks like we'll be saying goodbye to our MKV GTI and hello to a lovely new vRS. Will definitely be a factory order with AFS xenons, MDI, alarm, maybe metallic and maybe roof. Only thing stopping me atm is deciding whether to hold off a couple more months and then place an order so we can get a build/compliance 2010 car.

My wife loved it too when we went for a test drive.

Heated seats.........lol........we live in QLD!!!!! you get to use them for about 5 days out of 365 :)

Only thing stopping me atm is deciding whether to hold off a couple more months and then place an order so we can get a build/compliance 2010 car.

You can always specify a 2010 build on your order now (if you are looking at resale value, build date is more important than compliance date), but given the time it takes to get one to Oz you probably won't be driving it around around much before April 2010 (see this thread for a description of my experience in ordering a factory build).

Ordering a Factory build Skoda - VWwatercooled Australia