1st Gear Selection Clunk - VRS

Hi all,

Weird one this - I haven't come across any threads with similar issue, so here goes...

Stationary in traffic, select 1st gear, then just as you lift the clutch - clunk - followed by a brief inability to move back to neutral. :mad:

This just seems to happen in slow moving traffic (frequent for me on the commute..)

If the "clunk" (what a word) happens and I change in to 2nd, all is well. However, if there is a fair bit of '1st-stop, 1st-stop', you really have to wrestle with it to get out of 1st.

Any ideas? Mounts or selector mechanism?

Thanks.

Does the clutch feel at all spongy?

If you leave your foot down and the car in gear, do you get it trying to take up drive by itself?

WHen did you last check the brake fluid level?

I've got several ideas, and am asking elimination questions.

The clutch action is still ok (for me anyway). I wouldn't say its spongy. Still quite light, and I believe this still the original clutch (@ 93k).

Have tried foot down and car in gear - level - and doesn't seem to be any movement. Very slight vibration coming from the pedal though.

Brake fluid level is fine.

Doesn't sound like any of clutch needing bled, worn slave or master cylinder, or lack of fluid.

What else might cause clutch or gear drag? (semi-rhetorical) About the only thing I can think of is the gear oil needing changed (leave it to a garage if so; if you've ever smelt used gear oil you'll know why).

Doesn't sound like any of clutch needing bled, worn slave or master cylinder, or lack of fluid.

What else might cause clutch or gear drag? (semi-rhetorical) About the only thing I can think of is the gear oil needing changed (leave it to a garage if so; if you've ever smelt used gear oil you'll know why).

Think you may be right there Ken, as it can be extremely difficult to select reverse at times also. Nothing to lose (apart from some cash!) in getting the oil changed - good shout. :thumbup: